Whistle-like noise from AX8

toro484

Hi, I'm Sebastian.

Since a couple of weeks ago my AX8 has been making a high pitched noise whenever I use it (USB or not). This noise is always present in every preset and it gets louder when a light on the machine goes on. It's the exact same behavior as this video I found:

It's really noticeable when playing a low output guitar like a strat but the noise is there with any of my guitars, even when a guitar is not plugged in.

The only time its not making this noise is when I disconnect the input cable from the unit (I have tried different cables), or when connecting to the Input 2 and putting a FX Loop block first, although perhaps there is noise but less appearent.

Tried connecting the unit to a power conditioner but I get the same result.

Anyone has experience something like this?

I have the same problem, so i send the unit to g66! They changed the powersupply, but in the end, the noise is also there! So i put an eq block at the beginn of the grid and cut 4,8KHz with narrow Q, so the noise is much softer! But i think, there is bad shielding/layout design inside the ax8, so digital bus noise is more audible, the more (green) Lamps are lightning!

I have the same problem, so i send the unit to g66! They changed the powersupply, but in the end, the noise is also there! So i put an eq block at the beginn of the grid and cut 4,8KHz with narrow Q, so the noise is much softer! But i think, there is bad shielding/layout design inside the ax8, so digital bus noise is more audible, the more (green) Lamps are lightning!

Thanks, I will try your eq trick. What is weird is that I don't remember that it made this noise before, I started to notice it when I bought a strat wich has very low output pickups.

This seems like at least a bug if not a warranty issue. Using EQ to resolve the issue is just a band-aid.

Why not report it or contact Fractal for service? I understand the G66 already tried fixing it but based upon the result, their fix didn't work.

Hi!
I know this issue too....my AX8 does it, when I step on the F1-switch to select a preset. There‘s background noise and a rhythmic whistling noise with the same speed like the tempo LED.
But my unit is quiet as soon as I have selected a preset, so I don’t care.
If I have some money left I‘ll maybe try a power conditioner....maybe it has something to do with the power outlet in my room or the internet being distributed via the power supply lines in my house.

Probably a ground loop (power or USB) or EMI.

Do you have a laptop connected via USB, with the laptop connected to mains? Try running the laptop on battery power.

Does the noise also occur when disconnecting the computer entirely from the AX8?

Probably a ground loop (power or USB) or EMI.

Do you have a laptop connected via USB, with the laptop connected to mains?
Does the noise also occur when disconnecting the computer from the AX8?

It happens too when I'm not connected to my laptop. My unit had the USB port changed due to it breaking though, so maybe you are on to something.

I think so, I'm using a Hosa instrument cable and humbusters for my monitors. I tried with any cable I got though.

I think so, I'm using a Hosa instrument cable and humbusters for my monitors. I tried with any cable I got though.

I would lose the Hosa cables, inexpensive I know but you do get what you pay for in this case, Mogami, Planet waves something in that category!

I don’t think that the cables are the Problem. If i use a mid to higher gain sound, the ax8 only connected to my active speaker with XLR, no Guitar or other things connected, no USB or S/PDIF, Input Noise Gate Threshold to off, there is a clear 4,8 KHz Tone. It gets louder, the more green lamps on the AX8 lit! This Noise is about 25dB softer as my Guitar signal (measured with RME DigiCheck!) with Noisgate Off!

Back
Top Bottom