While we wait for Fractal new IRs... Here's something for ya IR junkies :)

And yes, I do feel just a little dirty using them.
Why should you ? That's the whole point of the modeling world... "Copying" sounds from every source available

Profiles for the Kemper Profiling Amp KPA : check Profile Packs - Bundle I at the bottom of the page, item 02
For Eric Jonhson fans - James Santiago cabs converted to KPA cabs - Free rigs and profiles - Kemper Amps Forum
GuitarAmpModeling.com • View forum - Speaker Cabinet Impulses there you can find IRs made from every source imaginable, including from the POD XT

When Fractal will release the new IRs, someone will convert them for KPA users, someone else in .wav format for for DAW users, etc... The only thing not "shareable" are commercial IRs (RedWirez, Ownhammer, Recabinet etc)

As long as their is no type of EULA agreement prohibiting re-use or conversion, it doesn't feel wrong to me either.

Has this been removed? Tried to download rar file from Fremen's blog site and get a 299 byte file. Won't open on my mac.

Here's that would be my final post about the issue

- RedWirez, Ownhammer and Recabinet are in the business of selling IRs - files which can be used across platforms. I would never share their work, that would be ethically wrong in my book.

- Some people are selling rigs ( = amp settings, cabinet, effects) specific to a platform, the Kemper. One of them even made his rigs from another platform's official presets (the Axe Fx II) and apparently, besides a few comments in this board, it wasn't an issue.

- I "captured" the cab part of some commercial rigs (and an altered version of it most of the time, as I had previously tweaked the rigs, and left the EQ part of the stack - my tweaks - "on" during the capture) so it would be usable in another platform - again, only the cab part, not the full rig. As an axe fx user won't buy an Amp Factory profile (and there are tone matches of those full profiles in axe change) I didn't feel I was "stealing" anything when capturing only a part of this profile - the sonic signature of the cab. 4 years ago there was a discussion on another board on which Jay Mitchell clearly said that an IR is nothing more than a set of equalizer settings and being the authority that he is, that then sealed the case for me, on ethical grounds (although, like I said, I won't share commercial cross platform IRs). See the thread here : GuitarAmpModeling.com • View topic - [LAST UPDATE] Official Sperimental Impulses Pack and read the following posts up to page 11

- However, even if tonematching and capturing IR from all sources (dry guitar tracks, other platforms...) is a common practice (everybody does that with utilities like ozone), it looks like it's still a concern to some people (to my surprise, I never read anything about that before), so I decided to 1) remove the files I uploaded, and 2) buy some of those commercial profiles from Amp Factory (and also Paypal something to a KPA user sharing his profiles for free but accepting donations), even if I'm not a KPA user, and for that I'll use the 30 $ from the 4 donations I received this week (and btw, 3 of these donations were from Kemper users of my profiles).

I may, however, re-upload re-equalized (to my taste) versions of some of those IRs, only a few of them, which won't sound like the original files anyway (I re-equalized third party IRs before, to customize them to my taste). Or I may not, lol. We won't need them anyway when the FAS 265 IRs will be released ;)

I'm really sorry for all the fuss. I'm still standing on my point of view on this subject (see my previous posts in this thread, about the whole "modelling philosophy", on which Jay also comments on the thread linked above), but I'm just tired of the endless arguments (specially on TGP, I'll post there later, I'm out to a gig), I'd rather spend my time playing guitar, and that's why I removed the files.

There's nothing wrong about it ,if so it would be wrong to model or tone match amps ,speakers and isolated guitar Tracks!!! Think about it! You shared these ,not put them up for sale ! Selling them might be a different animal!

There's nothing wrong about it ,if so it would be wrong to model or tone match amps ,speakers and isolated guitar Tracks!!! Think about it! You shared these ,not put them up for sale ! Selling them might be a different animal!

No comment, since it seems that comments that might disagree with this one are unwelcome on both forums. That's too bad, if you ask me.

fremen, what method do you use to re-eq IR's?
I convert them to .wav, open them in Voxengo Boogex followed bt a really precise EQ (Voxengo Gliss EQ or something like that), play a " cab-less"guitar track through this chain, tweak the EQ to taste (usually, only before 150 HZ and after 4 Khz, I left the mediums as they are), and when satisfied I play some pink or white noise or a sine .wav through the chain and use Voxengo deconvolver. Then I convert the resulting file back to syx. Done. That's how I did some of the custom IRs I use with the Axe (which also involved mixing different IRs)

Too bad the issue became convoluted :D

I was wanting to try these, which brings up a point...if Freman tweaked the IRs from patches he tweaked, then there is no commercial source for his IRs. He is neither infringing on Kemper, nor competing with their product. If anything, he's making a case for us guitarists using multiple resources to get the best results, which could drive some of us to seek out commercial products we might otherwise have not considered.

Too bad the issue became convoluted :D

I was wanting to try these, which brings up a point...if Freman tweaked the IRs from patches he tweaked, then there is no commercial source for his IRs. He is neither infringing on Kemper, nor competing with their product. If anything, he's making a case for us guitarists using multiple resources to get the best results, which could drive some of us to seek out commercial products we might otherwise have not considered.

People who have used small but recognizable parts of other people's songs as samples in their own have been successfully sued for copyright infringement. Andy apparently chooses to let people share his stuff, just as some artists choose not to copyright their song, or to not enforce said copyright in some cases. Just sayin'

Andy apparently chooses to let people share his stuff
Nopes, sharing his stuff is not allowed
But I was not sharing his stuff. I made an IR using a tweaked part of his stuff, to be used by people which would never buy his profiles, so it has no effect on his sales. Not the same thing at all, as he said himself.
So I'll share some files again, soon, although not all of them

People who have used small but recognizable parts of other people's songs as samples in their own have been successfully sued for copyright infringement. Andy apparently chooses to let people share his stuff, just as some artists choose not to copyright their song, or to not enforce said copyright in some cases. Just sayin'

While this is true, only creative works are covered by copyright, and IRs wouldn't fall under that category.

Back
Top Bottom