Which vaccine (if any)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
I'm still not eligible in my state but debating which to get. I'm not medically or biologically educated so the decision will be mostly based on faith.

The J&J one is a traditional tried-and-true approach but has lower reported efficacy (for different conditions).

The mRNA ones are relatively new tech with higher efficacy but also with unknown long-term side-effects. They appear to hack a cell's processes directly to make spike proteins (that look like COVID proteins) which is a little unnerving -- yes, that's what viruses do as well, but these mRNA things are totally synthetic. It sounds like they are 'delicate' (need frozen temps) and harmlessly break down after doing their thing. They also aren't supposed to muck with our cellular DNA itself.

Any in the know who could shed more light, particularly the mRNA ones?

I'm asking seriously, please refrain from conspiracy theory conversation if at all possible.

Last edited:
You’ve misunderstood the efficacy reports. There is no evidence the Johnson and Johnson vaccine has lower efficacy. Are you sure you want to get important information about vaccines on an amp modeler forum? There is plenty of good information available from public health agencies.

Good points.

The efficacy of JJ seems to go up over 2 months to 90% which is similar to the others (as well as no hospitalizations/deaths). It's is unfortunate they used different time frames and metrics in reporting the 'official' numbers.

I guess I appreciate conversation in addition to research, if only to hear what others are thinking.

In the end it's all about whether or not you trust in science and the health system. Here in Germany I trust both.

I got my first dose with AstraZeneca and had no side effect whatsoever. I'm male, 36 years old and very healthy all in all. And I'm a teacher, that's why I got it so early. Of course this doesn't have anything to do with you, I just wanted to show myself as a positive example.

Even before I got vaccinated, my recommendation to everyone who asked my opinion was: Go get vaccinated as soon as it's your turn. If you have illnesses, go and talk to your doctor first.

I got the J&J vaccine 3 days ago.

The day of the vaccine was OK.

The next day I literally couldn't get out of bed due to my joints being on fire and dehydration. 64 ounces of Gatorade, 30 oz of water and 12 hours of sleep brought me back to normal.

I wish they would have told me to double my level of hydration and I may have side stepped side effects altogether.

I got the J&J vaccine 3 days ago.

The day of the vaccine was OK.

The next day I literally couldn't get out of bed due to my joints being on fire and dehydration. 64 ounces of Gatorade, 30 oz of water and 12 hours of sleep brought me back to normal.

I wish they would have told me to double my level of hydration and I may have side stepped side effects altogether.
Good to know. I'm scheduled for the J&J vaccine in a few days. I'll make sure to hydrate a lot. As far as I can tell, in our state we don't get to choose the vaccine. We get on a waiting list, and they let you know when your number is up and what type you'll be getting.

There haven't been any side by side tests of the J&J vs the others under the same conditions. By the time it was tested, we were in a very different environment, in terms of numbers of people infected and vaccinated, and different societal behaviors.

Everything I've seen says take what you can get. Like exercise, the most effective one is the one you actually do.

As someone from the medical field I might chip in:

First of all the responses I have seen to the vaccine used here (Pfizer/Bio) were all pretty uniform. People complained about feeling very ill for a day and then came back to work the next. Seems to be the typical immune response. So just be prepared to feel ill for a day and probably just call in sick for that day. Such responses are a very good thing, shows your body is mounting a defense, which is the whole logic behind vaccines. Some reported it be only bad during 2nd shot, so it just seems like a coin flip.

I work in the geriatric field so the people who shots under my supervision were all mostly 70s-90s. They all took it really well and not one complained about anything other than a bump on their arm. I do not dare and not willing to make any comments on how the vaccine works and how the long term effects are. I will only comment on what I have witnessed.

I have one kidney, (lost it to cancer, take an immune suppressant for Psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and also have sleep apnea. Just to name a few.
I was NOT sick after either dose. So it really depends on the person. I am no kid either, trust me.
After the 2nd dose I was tired all day, but that was it. Just saying, prepare to be ill is not a great recommendation to get the vaccine. I also do NOT personally know ANYONE who got sick or felt ill. I know lots of people-I go to the VA for healthcare.
Yes I know some get sick, but that certainly seems to be the minority,, NOT the majority.

In the end it's all about whether or not you trust in science and the health system. Here in Germany I trust both.
I trust science and I trust the health system. I will probably get the jab once its my turn. It's the politicians and the media that pick and chose to fit whatever fits their narrative to say its 'scientific' and that if you disagree with them you're an X denier that I don't trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom