Which Studio Monitors?

MKeditor

Experienced
I am going to buy a pair of studio monitors for my set up. Up until now I have just used the computer speakers. Which speakers would you fellas recommend?

I'm sure everybody has their preference... ;) Personally, but I use Yamaha HS80M and am very happy with them. Not too expensive, as far as monitors go, either. I cross them over with a sub at 80Hz and think it sounds fantastic for guitar, bass and music playback.

steverosburg said:
I'm sure everybody has their preference... ;)

. . . and to prove the point . . . KRK VXT6's

I did a lot of research before I invested in high-quality nearfields. Check out Sound-On-Sound, a recording site. They speak highly of both the VXT series and the Adams monitors. http://www.soundonsound.com/

M-audio BX8a. 8 in woofer, about 499 a pair. I figure I am going to use them for playing guitar, not as much for a reference monitor for mixing so if I blow them up it will be less painful then a $1150 pair of A7's. Besides do I need 38khz for guitar.

Also check out the wiki page for Axe FX Accessories, where we capture what most people use in various categories with their Axe FX. At least gives you an short list to work with in many cases. Mind you if Scott Peterson had stuck to the short list he might not have heard the QSCs and then there wouldn't be the craze we have on here with the HPR122!

I have some M-Audio Bx5as right now and they sound very good for listening but not as good for mixing, IMO. They are just very bright. On the other hand they do have a wonderful sound in general. I'm thinking of selling them and getting some KRK RP-5s instead. About the same cost and they are supposed to be a bit more neutral.

Thanks for the input gents. I ended up buying the KRK RP6G2. For the price they seem to be the best bang for the buck. I guess I will find out when I hook them up.

MKeditor said:
Thanks for the input gents. I ended up buying the KRK RP6G2. For the price they seem to be the best bang for the buck. I guess I will find out when I hook them up.
Not a bad score. I have the 8" version of these (and the 10" subwoofer for grins) and have been pretty happy considering the price point. Enjoy!

after testing a lot i swear to my Event 20/20 and that since about 8 years now.
A really good mix of neutral Studiomonitor and good sounding Box with some punch.
Most really good Monitors do what they should - neutral - to neutral for me to use
them for example playing the Axe....

Event´s are great and active btw.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=603278

Back
Top Bottom