Which strap locks?

Schallers. For several reasons:

- They're beefy.

- You have to pull the button to take them off. That's hard to do by accident. Other strap locks (e.g., Dunlops) release with the push of a button. If you accidentally bump that button into something, they'll let go.

- If for some reason the mechanism did fail, the pin will settle into the receiver cup, and your guitar won't go crashing to the ground.

...problem is that the pin connected to the guitar horn get loos from time to time although the screw is well tightened (the screw get loos for some reason) and it happens on all my guitars, some on the front and some on the back.
If your button screw keeps working loose, the hole in your guitar's body needs to be repaired.

DiMarzio Cliplock.

Funny timing that I just noticed this thread as I just bought a pile of Cliplocks last week to finally replace all the non-Cliplocks straps & locks on my guitars with them. I started using a Cliplock strap years ago when I was a teenager just starting out and saw Vai using one. Tried a bunch of other things over the years just to see what was out there and finally just realized Cliplocks are the best for me.

For those who don't want to remove your original strap button, maybe for vintage purpose or whatever, the Lock-It strap does work pretty well. I have one I keep for "just in case" scenarios, and it has done the job so far. I still much prefer the Dunlop Dual Design for my personal guitars, but this is a viable option when that one is unavailable or undesirable.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c932--Lock-It_Straps--Guitar_Straps One reliable source for Lock-It
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StrapLkDDNkl Here's the Dunlop Dual Design

Schallers. For several reasons:

- They're beefy.

- You have to pull the button to take them off. That's hard to do by accident. Other strap locks (e.g., Dunlops) release with the push of a button. If you accidentally bump that button into something, they'll let go.

- If for some reason the mechanism did fail, the pin will settle into the receiver cup, and your guitar won't go crashing to the ground.

If your button screw keeps working loose, the hole in your guitar's body needs to be repaired.

I use Schallers on all my guitars, but I can't recommend them without a warning first. My LP Special went crashing to the ground once because I didn't have the receiver cup facing up (before this happened, I never really paid attention to the orientation - let's call it user error), and something in the mechanism failed. The damage was repairable but some visible cosmetic blemishes will remain unless I do a full refin. I replaced that Schaller set, and now every time I put a guitar on, I tighten the strap nuts and make sure the cup is facing up. And my hands subconsciously never really leave the guitar anymore, because that left a painful memory.

I use Schallers on all my guitars, but I can't recommend them without a warning first. My LP Special went crashing to the ground once because I didn't have the receiver cup facing up (before this happened, I never really paid attention to the orientation - let's call it user error), and something in the mechanism failed. The damage was repairable but some visible cosmetic blemishes will remain unless I do a full refin. I replaced that Schaller set, and now every time I put a guitar on, I tighten the strap nuts and make sure the cup is facing up. And my hands subconsciously never really leave the guitar anymore, because that left a painful memory.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It hurts when your baby gets hurt.

Regarding tightening the strap nuts, use one wrench on the nut and one on the cup, and crank it down good. You only have to do it once, If the strap end is leather. I've got Schallers on most of my straps, some of which I installed 25 years ago, and they're nowhere close to letting go.

I put Schaller straplocks on all of my instruments... guitars, basses, even my Warr Guitar. I've never had a problem with them.
How do you quiet them down? I put them on a slew of guitars, but they squeak audibly through the body and into the pickups.

How do you quiet them down? I put them on a slew of guitars, but they squeak audibly through the body and into the pickups.
I can make noise with them if I try to and I'm not playing. In actual combat, I don't hear them.

Other strap locks (e.g., Dunlops) release with the push of a button. If you accidentally bump that button into something, they'll let go
that would be really tricky to do because the release button is recessed so you'd have to hit it with something small enough to fit in there.

that would be really tricky to do because the release button is recessed so you'd have to hit it with something small enough to fit in there.
The corner of a table or countertop or rack case, or the end of a strut on a guitar stand, or... And some of them aren't as recessed as they appear to be at first glance. Granted, it's not an everyday occurrence—if it were, no one would use them at all—but the risk is there.

I've had the Dunlops on one guitar for years.

With the Dunlops, you'd not only have to accidentally hit the button but at the same time something would have to be pulling the opposite direction with little to no angle to it. If you bump the button, almost always that same bump is going to be putting applying force in the opposite direction than would be needed to disengage the lock. They also hang on pretty well just from friction if they are at any sort of angle so having the guitar suspended from your neck in a normal playing position won't cause them to come loose even if you are hitting the buttons. I'm mostly paranoid about the lock not engaging properly when I first attach it than I am after I'm confident it has engaged.

The main thing I don't like about them is that they extend outside the normal button area. That looks and feels weird to me though I can't say that it has actually affected playability. It also introduces a longer moment arm on the screw that in my mind unnecessarily applies additional leverage to the screw and wood.

Back
Top Bottom