Which Speakers?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
So I have decided not to go FRFR for now (Ill wait for some reviews on the Atomic. If there good, maybe Ill try that route in a few months). The upshot of this decision is a new cab :D

My Current VHT Fat Bottom 2x12 is nice, but it is a closed back. Its neither a 4x12, or nice open back. Good as it is its not the most versatile sounding cab.

So, Im having a custom cab built. It will be an oversized 2x12 cab, with bass ports. It will also have 3 removable back pannels so I can configure it as an open, 3/4 closed or closed design. I MAY keep my VHT cab and run stereo - utilising whichever cab is best for the sound, but will probably just use the new cab (less to lug about !!).

However, I need some recomendations for speakers to load it with. My VHT has a classic combo of 1 V30 and 1 G12H - However, for the new can I want something fairly neutral so I can get a bit more versatility.

So whats good? Ive heard EVs are OK, but dont know which model. Also any other suggestions are good. Needs to be 4 or 16 Ohms - so I can wire the cab for 8 Ohm opperation. I use an Art SLA-1 at present - so a combined 60-120W handling is good (the VHT is rated at 60W and is fine with the SLA bridged). That said Im not adverse to changing the amp for an SLA-2 if the cab will handle more power - so up to a 400W cab iis probably OK.

I dont want the power to cloud my choice though. Primary concern in this is "flexability", so probably "neutrality" is the key. Equally as good at nice round clean tones as high octane drives.

So - Whats it to be?

first off,i am by no means an expert on this subject,but i just recently went through the same dilemma.there are literaly hundreds of drivers to choose from.couple of questions first....
1.what's your price range.(speakers can get pricey.)
2.how big are your cabs going too be?
3.what kind of freq.response are you looking for?
these are just a couple of questions you have to ask yourself before you plunk down some hard earned cash.
alot of people are swearing by the EV 12L,which is no longer in production(figures,right?) :roll: .they are a bit expensive if you can find a pair.Eminence makes the Delta Pro 12a,which is supposed to be a direct replacement for the EV.they are supposed to be fairly nuetral,but do have a peak at about 3khz.i ended up going with them.can't give you a review because they just shipped today.so i wont have them installed for at least another week.

maybe try looking at http://www.guitarspeakerguide.com for starters.not a great site,but may give you some ideas.Parts Express also has some good resources for driver selection.plus a live chat function with techs if you need advice.
sorry i couldn't be of more help.just do a little research and you should be able to find what your looking for.

OK - In in the UK so prices/availability may varie.

I have seen new EV 12ls advertised at around £180 each - which is a lot.

Zilla - who are making my cab said EVs are around £80 each if they install them. hey didnt say which ones though - Im presuming there 12ls.

Price?

The cab unloaded is around £250 ish. I can spend another £250 really. That means the EVs are OK if Zilla have them at £80 each - but not if I have to get them seperate.

As for freq response - As flat as possible U suppose. That should make the tweeks in the axe have more effect on the final tone.

Cab size ? dont actually know yet. There going to be oversized 2x12s as I stated, but exactly how big is yet to be decided. Probably something like the Bogner Oversized cabs.

sorry,didn't realise you are in the U.K.being such,have you considered Fane speakers?i would imagine you could get a fairly high quality model for a decent price,being that they are a U.K. company.they always sounded great in the older Hiwatt amps!

paulmapp8306 said:
So I have decided not to go FRFR for now (Ill wait for some reviews on the Atomic. If there good, maybe Ill try that route in a few months). The upshot of this decision is a new cab :D
Not trying to steer off-topic but I gotta say I am very surprised to hear this. I thought I would be reading your review on the Atomic FR since it is speculated that G66 will get them first. Did I miss something or may I ask what changed your mind?

Not actually 100% yet on the cab v atomic.

Mostly it comes down to money.

I have the £700 the Atomic will cost - just. I have managed to keep the money I got from selling my head. However - my car needs new tyres, theres next years holiday to pay for and Christmas looming. While I could spend the £700 it may make things tight.

Thing is, I have a pro-tools rig with near field monitors for recording/home use - and my SLA/cab for rehursals and live.

i also have my own PA - though not a great sounding one by the Axe's standard - if I want to fiddle with FRFR live (ive tried this in my practice space and am yet to be convinced - mostly I dont like the cab sims. Funny though - they sound fine on my recordings?).

Im not actually playing out too much at present being in-between projects, so am thinking I could live with what I have for now. I will get most of what the new cab will cost from selling my current VHT cab. The new can is gonna be £500 max loaded (giving my £200 float for the mentioned things) and my cab should fetch £300 - and I have a spare G12H too.

If I had plently of cash floating about I would get the Atomic and see how it went. As It is it will be tight financially If I go this way.

I may still take the Atomic on the 14 day trial but Ill have to see what the return policy is (who pays, how much if its me etc), OR I may decline the first shipment cab G66 have reserved for me - but stay on the list for the second shipment - then wait for some reviews. For me it really has to sound like a real amp/cab combo - not a mic'd up sound. If it does great, but im not totally convinced it will be.

In the end money talks I suppose, and Im not flush.

Money being tight is completely understandable. I thought it was strictly a tone based decision

paulmapp8306 said:
if I want to fiddle with FRFR live (ive tried this in my practice space and am yet to be convinced - mostly I dont like the cab sims. Funny though - they sound fine on my recordings?).
Exactly what I have experienced and am hoping to overcome with the Atomic.

paulmapp8306 said:
For me it really has to sound like a real amp/cab combo - not a mic'd up sound. If it does great, but im not totally convinced it will be.
My QSC got me close enough to believe that it is possible. If the Atomic is at all better than my QSC HPR122i (which I'm sure it will be) I'll be happy. If it's not better I am done searching and will be going completely IEM forever. The only reason I am looking for a FR solution at all is for the courtesy of my bandmates, the immediate front row audience, and for grab and go jam sessions because honestly... I prefer to use IEM's anyways. I no longer have the QSC to compare with but I will definitely post whether or not I think the Atomic is worthwhile for you to check out once I have mine.

Back to topic...

Back
Top Bottom