Which speakers would you use with a JTM45

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
so I recently picked up a used JTM45 reissue mkii. Awesome amp.

I currently have three 2x12 cabinets. All three do not have a backing on them. So im looking for advice on two things.

1: would you make the cab an open back or closed back with a jtm45? From what I've read the jtm is based in the bassman models and typically sound better with open back cabs. But I'd like to get some feedback on what others think.

2: I have three pairs of speakers and would like opinions on which would go best with a jtm45. G12H30's. G12T-75 and eminence legends.

I could mix and match or go with a pair of any of these. Any thoughts? I would prefer to just use one 212 cab though, not multiple.

Thanks all

Put a removable baffle on the back of one of the cabs, maybe set up a center panel as well then you could run 1x12 open and 1x12 closed or really any combination of open/closed. If you are clever and set it up with some kind of solid system with a quick release, you could convert it based on what sounds best in any particular room. Have fun playing with mix and match on all the speakers too. :)

So I've decided to go a different route and just order a new 2x12 traditional Avatar cabinet speakers and all. They pretty much have every speaker available. In this case, what speakers would you recommend for the JTM45? I'm not a fan of vintage 30's...too brittle sounding. So those are out. Is it worth mixing two speakers? I definitely want something good for a rock tone but that can be warm as well. Ive never tried greenbacks or cream back speakers...any opinions? Alnico blue is an option but it seems to be very pricey for those.

A vintage style amp desirves a vintage style speaker, pretty sure they came stock with silver 20's . A pair of Green back 25 would probably be the deal and the closest to stock! Another thought would be to run a G12H with the Greenback it really just depends on the filter you like with that style amp.

A vintage style amp desirves a vintage style speaker, pretty sure they came stock with silver 20's . A pair of Green back 25 would probably be the deal and the closest to stock! Another thought would be to run a G12H with the Greenback it really just depends on the filter you like with that style amp.
+1 on the Greenback 25s. Closed back if you can.

i think I'm definitely may try either both greenbacks or maybe one with a G12H. Im getting it made as an open back with optional closed conversion so it should be the best of both worlds.

My JTM45 clone sounded great with Weber Greenbacks. Very rich and punchy with sweet highs.

Then again, that was some clone. Not your typical JTM45.

I ended up ordering with a Hellatone (broken in G12h30) and one greenback. I think it will be a nice combo. I can always swap one out if I don't like it. But the question is now....which one would you mic Live?

I prefer all G12H30's. That tone, Marshall -> G12H30's, is burned into my brain :)

That is the sound of rock to me. No need to mix speakers.

These most recent IR's of that speaker in various cabs is the tits.

I ended up ordering with a Hellatone (broken in G12h30) and one greenback. I think it will be a nice combo. I can always swap one out if I don't like it. But the question is now....which one would you mic Live?

The Greenback is the one I would gravitate to first but I would listen to them both before I made that call.

Back
Top Bottom