Which solder for guitar wiring?

Any 60/40 resin core will do (Radio Shack), something for light work with no more than a 15/30 watt iron especially if your working on pups.

I prefer lead in my solder. Not only does it *work* better, but it also tastes better :D

I agree - about the 'working' better part.

I know you know this, Nikki, but to anyone else: don't breathe the fumes - get a little fan of some sort to direct them away.

Also, wash your hands thoroughly after working with solder, and don't eat while you're soldering.

Just sayin'. :D

Yeah, I should have included the disclaimer.
I have always loved the smell of soldering, and have used my teeth to unspool, bend, straighten, etc my solder since.. age 4 or 5. Might explain some things...

Reactions: jon
Unless you're involved in production work, I wouldn't be to concerned about the slight exposure to lead from a few repairs or conncetions. I live in an area where GM manufactured millions of radiators using solder as high in lead content as 90% (only has to hold 15 psi). Thousands worked in this plant over the years, never heard of a case of lead poisoning and I don't think they were all that carerful.

Silver solder is "better" for audio but harder to make a clean connection (silver has a higher melting point...or whatever). If you don't know what solder to use I think you should try to find some lead solder as it will be easier to make a proper connection. Here in Canada its harder to find lead solder because the word "lead" is scary to people and they think it will poison them right away. Its out there...just find it.

BTW, looking up some simple soldering tips on youtube will help you immensly if you have never done it before. Cheers,

I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all. I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all.I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all.
seriously though I'd use a 40watt. If you buy a soldering iron ,most come with a little solder

I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all. I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all.I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all.I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all.I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all.I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all.I've soldered with lead and it hasn't bothered me at all.

LOL- been there, got the t-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom