Which reverbs are closest to the Strymon Big Sky Cloud? Also, stack like Strymon??

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Hey everyone! I know the Axe Fx has a bunch of new cloud style reverbs.. For those who have experience with the Strymon Big Sky cloud setting, which Axe Fx iii reverb seems closest to the Strymon Big Sky?

Also, are there any tutorials on the stack feature regarding delays and reverbs? I REALLY want to be able to use the delays and reverbs like I do with my Strymon Timeline and Big Sky, in that no matter which algorithm you choose, as long as you hold down the button, it will continue to stack everything that goes into it more and more until you release the button, at which point it fades out based on the decay or repeat of that patch.
I haven't had the same experience compared to my Strymon pedals; perhaps I need more experimenting, but it seems like the Axe Fx stack only grabs a short bit of what's played initially, as opposed to grabbing everything? Is this the case? I'd love to know more about this if, and if anyone has implemented this EXACTLY like the behavior of Strymon stuff.

Thanks and God bless!

Mike.

Hey Mike,
There are cloud based reverb algorithms in there. Cirrocumulus, cumulonimbus, nimbostratus and stratocumulous. You can use the hold/stack function in the reverb block. Tie it to a controller or footswitch and set the footswitch to be non-latching so it releases the hold function upon release.

Hey Mike,
There are cloud based reverb algorithms in there. Cirrocumulus, cumulonimbus, nimbostratus and stratocumulous. You can use the hold/stack function in the reverb block. Tie it to a controller or footswitch and set the footswitch to be non-latching so it releases the hold function upon release.

Cool! Thanks for the reply! I will check them all out; I was just wondering if anyone had an experience with one in particular that reminded them of the strymon specifically. I also saw the controller mod to the foot switch as well, thanks! I'm trying to understnad the behavior of it a bit better I suppose. Maybe I just need to experiment with it a bit more, as I'd really like it to react like the Strymon does because it's very intuitive, at least to me and my experience with the strymon stuff.

Cool! Thanks for the reply! I will check them all out; I was just wondering if anyone had an experience with one in particular that reminded them of the strymon specifically. I also saw the controller mod to the foot switch as well, thanks! I'm trying to understnad the behavior of it a bit better I suppose. Maybe I just need to experiment with it a bit more, as I'd really like it to react like the Strymon does because it's very intuitive, at least to me and my experience with the strymon stuff.

Those cloud reverbs all remind me of the strymon stuff. Mainly the "cloud" algorithms. I have the Big sky and these are very faithful recreations of those reverbs. Again, you'd have to be very specific for anyone to point out which reverbs match to what on both units.

Pro tip: dont chase "strymon" ambient reverb tones, just build great reverb tones. Fortunately this is easy to do.

Deep space, ambience and the plex reverb are great starting points. The stack function does what it says on the label. Happy crafting!

Pro tip: dont chase "strymon" ambient reverb tones, just build great reverb tones. Fortunately this is easy to do.

Deep space, ambience and the plex reverb are great starting points. The stack function does what it says on the label. Happy crafting!
Cool! Thank you for the reply! The only reason I reference those is because I'm so used to them and the behavior of the stacking feature on the strymon pedals. Thanks for the algorithm starting points too!

God bless!

Mike.

Cool! Thank you for the reply! The only reason I reference those is because I'm so used to them and the behavior of the stacking feature on the strymon pedals. Thanks for the algorithm starting points too!

God bless!

Mike.

You'll still have the stacking and hold that you're used to. I dont think the strymons can do this (its been almost 2 years lol) but you can assign a modifier to the stack/hold and for example have it move from "off" to "stack" based on pitch. So low notes could create a pad, then a melody would dissolve it, make another etc. Lots of options and lots of flavours.

I recently discovered the (probably obvious) result of sweeping the filter on a plex reverb to give a synth quality. This will probably appear on my next release.

Fortunately, we also have some effects gurus on this forum who are great at helping figure out a reference sound.

Back
Top Bottom