Which recording interface do you recommend?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I'm looking for something small and simple. 2x2 is fine.
Comparing between the mbox mini 3, steinberg ur22 and also looked at the small ones that presonus makes.

Any reason to go with none over another? All seem to be between 150-200 dollars. And I don't need software so protocols express is not necessary for this purchase.

My advice...spend a little more and get the UAD Apollo. Desktop unit with UAD plugins which sound great. You'll be happier..trust me.

SPL Cimson. 6in 6out, High End Audio quality, spdif, High End Monitor Controller....but you can't do anything wrong with Focusrite Scarletts or Presonus Audioboxes....

All I want to add is that the Presonus does not have digital (spdif) connectors. I'm still considering a Scarlett for when I need to get me a new laptop and my current FireWire wo't fit anymore.

If you are looking for a Scarlett, consider th 18i20. I'm using it for band rehearsal Recording and for 3 different Stereo-Inear Monitor Lines at the same time. Very good Preamps, very versatile....

I use the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, although it is Firewire and probably $50 - $100 more than the units you are looking at. If you can get by with Firewire, the preamps and converters are top class in this unit. I've had no problems with it on my Mac and also use the VRM (virtual reference monitor) for nights when I have to mix with headphones and the kids are asleep. It works very well on Windoze too though.

The Saffire Series and the Scarletts have the same Audio quality. They use the same Preamps and AD/Coverters, as mentioned by Focusrite.

Allthough you can reach a better Low Latency performance with Firewire, it seems that FW will be replaced by Thunderbolt and Usb2.0 and Usb3.0.

The Scarlett Series is class compliant, you can use it with an IPad, too. It works Perfect with Auria for example.

Thats a good point you raise funkstation777. It's worth mentioning that with the Focusrite Firewire and Mac combination you have a buy a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter (if you have the newer generation Mac). And you have the additional pain of having to power the computer down if you want to plug/unplug the adapter. :ambivalence:

I just bought a new imac 27" today so I'd like to get a new interface to start recording with. I use reaper as my daw.

I currently have an m-audio projectmix control surface that I was using as my interface. I'm not sure how good of quality the preamps were in that unit but it seems like its a bit overkill in size. Everything can be done through the daw now.

I think it's a shame that they want to get rid of firewire. With the right Chipset ( Texas Instruments) I never had any trouble, no matter if it was a Saffire Pro 40, a Mackie Onyx or a Presonus Studio live Mixer....lowest Latency and bullet Proof performance.

With usb you just have to Pay so much attention to the Hardware, it can be real Pain in the ass. But the possibility to use the iPad live and for rehearsal instead of a PC or Laptop forced me into it. Damn it! :)

Any RME, like RME UCX, or BabyFace. I recommend this because i always had problems with DAW crashing until i retired my 'Tascam' 144 USB interface, and got a RME UCX USB interface - less latency, way fewer crashes and hangs, way better sound.

RME was my first choice when my old Audio Kontrol interface died, the only thing was the price that pushed me towards the Focusrite.

Focusrite would be the first place I looked. It just works and it sounds better than anything else in it's price range and better than a lot of stuff outside of it.

Are the units that have FireWire better or faster than the USB 2.0? My new imac does NOT have FireWire. All it has is USB and thunderbolt. I guess I can get a thunderbolt to FireWire converter cable.

Would that be the best route to take?

Last edited:
I'm trying to record the axe fx into reaper with just the stock audio card for playback. I'm getting a ton of latency. Like about 6-8 seconds of latency. Lol.

Is it just the sound card not being able to handle it or don't have to change some settings around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I just tried using the Axe FX 2 XL with my Mac Mini running Logic Pro X (using the USB connection). This was after viewing Coopers great tut on reamping. It worked great! No latency or problems at all. Axe FX O/P 1 & 2 fed Track one recording the wet stereo signal. And Axe FX O/P 3 fed Track 2 in mono with a direct signal.

This was done adding tracks to an existing track.

FYI when I use my Kemper with the same setup, I use SPDIF thru a Focusrite 6i6 box.

I like how simple the Axe Fx hardware makes this process though.

I have nothing but good things to say with respect to the RME products. I have owned the FF800 and currently have a UFX and have had ZERO issues with either. Those two are way above your requirements and budget but I would also consider the baby face for few hundred more. I have read numerous posts from fellow forum members saying they have had good results with it. The RME AD/DA converters and drivers are top notch in my humble opinion.

I am a firm believer in paying a little extra once for gear that has a history of quality in lieu of multiple trial and error purchases.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom