Which Rack?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
No idea where to put this - so leaving it here.

I currently have a 4U, wooden/aluminium Rack that Ive had since my Standard days. Well -its got a bit full. Its actually got 5U of gear plus a power strip (normal household surge protected one screwed into the lid) and a patch bay.

I have my Matrix GT1000, AFX2, and RAC12 front loaded - while my G90 Relay and home made patch bay are rear mounted.

It does work - but I kind of miss having the G90 display on the front (means checking the body pack for battery info rather than a quick glance at the Rack) - and as its jammed, airflow through the rack cant be good.

So - a 6U rack sounds appealing I could always rear mount one unit if needed - should I go for a 2U power amp at some point) - BUT which one.

Options are the ABS type, which are cheaper and lighter than the wooden ones but have drawbacks. I couldnt screw in the 4 way power strip meaning a PDU would be required. Id have the space - but its more weight (meaning a net increase of around 1.5 Kg from my current rack) and probably more important they only seem to have re-drilled holes for mounting. This means if a unit is tight - you cant shift it up/down a mm or 2.

The other option is a wooden 6U. Heavier than my current one by 1.5 Kg and more expensive. They have proper sliding bolt rails - but should I go for a PUD anyway (despite being able to screw in my current strip - the weight increase would be around 5Kg - and Im all about lightweight (or Id probably still have my old VHT Power amp)

Soooo - cheap/lighter but MUST have the PDU - or wood for loading, and the option to use a PDU or not (could always add later if I can handle the weight).

FWIW - an ABS with PDU and cables could come in at around £150 (UK), where as a wooden rack with no PDU comes in at around £80 without PDU and around £200 with + cables. Total weight difference between the 2 racks (both fully loaded) is around 3 Kg.

Need 6U. The 6U equivalent of that is only 1Kg lighter than the wooden ones which have the proper rails. Cant see is this does or doesnt. Its not full 430 depth either - though that may be OK. Cant see if that Boshma has proper rails or not (though the screw pack would indicate it does) Price is identical though:

Thon Rack 6U Eco 45 - Thomann UK

Back
Top Bottom