Which Rack mount Mixer?

I own an XR18 and a Soundcraft ui24. I bought the Soundcraft after being frustrated with the inconsistent XR18 GUIs on different platforms. (Android tablet looks completely different than iPad, for example.) I liked the fact that the Soundcraft had the same web-based GUI on all platforms. You can buy third-party apps for the XR18 that allow you to do all sorts of GUI customization, but the documentation for doing so sucks. (And I'm no Luddite, but as a tech writer writing software manuals and helps files for the past 25+ years, I know bad documentation when I see it.)

Problem is, when I got the Soundcraft, we'd been using the XR18 for a year or two and we had everything pretty much dialed in, despite the funky GUI. My band never gave me enough time to dial in the Soundcraft, so after one nightmare gig, one of the other members in particular has already decided he hates it, and has resisted any of my attempts to try working with it again. So I gave up and we've continued to use the XR18. (Wanna buy a Soundcraft, lol?)

I did like the workflow and layout of the Soundcraft GUI, but the Behringer has lots more routing and effects options. I'm a guitarist, not a soundman, so I'm not using nearly everything the XR18 has to offer, but all in all, I've (we've) been happy with it. Still bummed about the Soundcraft though, since it has some cool features I wish the XR18 had.

Whatever you get, plan on investing in an external router. Don't even try to play a gig without one. Also be aware that outdoor gigs can be problematic, as seeing the screen on a tablet or laptop can be a royal pain in sunlight. For this reason, I'm seriously considering buying an X-Touch control surface for the XR18. (Although a big part of me would rather put that money towards an Axe III.)

Whatever you get, plan on investing in an external router. Don't even try to play a gig without one.
i completely agree. some on the forum are saying they've had no issue at all with the built-in wireless, but for me it's very slow even when it works, and it stops working often, or lags. when you need to pull down a mic, you CANNOT have lag in the control.

did you have a similar experience with the built-in wireless? i've been told that a large group of people think there's no issue at all...

Another happy X32 rack user here but I think the sound quality from some other units is better. Couple apps I like better too. I like the qsc touchmix 32 app a lot.

Another happy X32 rack user here but I think the sound quality from some other units is better. Couple apps I like better too. I like the qsc touchmix 32 app a lot.
Apps are like guitars...different strokes for different folks.
I thought the QSC app was awful. Others love it.
I love the X32 app. Others hate it.

There is certainly a factor of getting comfortable with one, which them makes it hard to adjust to another.

So I always recommend downloading the apps and playing with them.
Combine the level necessary functionality of the mixer, with your comfort of the apps...and go with that.

The X18 internal router worked fine for me when I used it....mainly because I never did. I would never leave the house without an external 5g router. Ever.

Going to a gig with just a mixer's internal router is going to a gig with only one guitar, with old crappy strings...and having no back up strings.
You're just asking for trouble.

I don't have any Apple devices so it's MixStation for me and my Android tablet. Never had any issues so far with the cheap little router connected to my X32.

I don't have any Apple devices so it's MixStation for me and my Android tablet. Never had any issues so far with the cheap little router connected to my X32.

Speaking of cheap little routers...the Apple Airport Extreme - Gen 5 can be purchased on eBay for around $30.
They fit on a rack shelf (or nicely Velcro to the top of a boxy mixer like the X18/X32 or Soundcraft.
They run 5g and I never have connectivity issues.
Any time I've had only a 2.4g router, if the room gets packed, my connection can be unstable.

Last time I checked, Apple routers didn’t allow turning off 2.4 GHz, which makes them a terrible choice for people using some Shure or Line 6 wireless systems.

did you have a similar experience with the built-in wireless? i've been told that a large group of people think there's no issue at all...

I've had some dropouts using the built in WiFi at home, so I've never risked using it at a gig. I know what you mean about lots of people saying it works great for them, but that sure hasn't been my experience.

Last time I checked, Apple routers didn’t allow turning off 2.4 GHz, which makes them a terrible choice for people using some Shure or Line 6 wireless systems.

Correct, you cannot turn off the 2.4 that I'm aware of.
I keep my guitar wireless (Shure GLXD) on top of my PA rack. As long as it is about 2-3 feet away from the router, it's fine.
If/when my Shure wireless will act up, I literally lift it about 3" and it clears right up.

It is true though, 2.4g routers and digital wireless units don't play well when they're too close.
For the router price of $30, I'm ok with dealing with the proximity issue.

Now that I think of it....I just moved my Shure receiver to my AX8 floor board, so this issue won't occur again.

If your wireless receiver is on the floor away from the rack, that’s better, of course. But you still have a strong 2.4 GHz signal quite close, so it can always come and bite you anytime. At best, you have fewer channels for the GLXD to work with.

I just don’t see the point. You may work around and get lucky, but it’s best to avoid 2.4 GHz altogether.

You may work around and get lucky, but it’s best to avoid 2.4 GHz altogether.
I don't consider it luck. There is a scientific solution...move your devices away from each other.
If that is not something that works for you, that's fine. But I can manage the distance between my devices quite easily.
I'm going on 4 years with this configuration and I have never been unable to resolve an interference issue within 30 seconds, by moving a device.
The best way to prepare is to set up your router, in a single room in your home, and experiment to find the proper distance that causes interference. When you are out in a club/bar, the router signal is not going to get stronger, if anything it's going to get weaker due to other 2.4g traffic.

Again, this is just something that works for me. It's an inexpensive solution for folks who are looking for one.
If you have another 5g router that fits on a single space rack shelf, where 2.4g can be disabled, and it's relatively inexpensive...please recommend it. I'm always up for looking for a better solution.

How is the set up process? (on the easier or more difficult side)? I'm interested...

It has WPS, and a quick setup page, which you can use and never touch advanced settings. The advanced settings can get, well, very advanced. There’s scripting, all kinds of VPN servers and clients, advanced routing, multiple WANs with failover and load balancing is possible, you can control multiple access points, and so on. But that’s like in Axe-FX, you don’t have to go there if you don’t need to. The default settings are fine, just change password and disable 2.4 GHz.

It is rock solid and blazing fast for simple home/stage use, which is what matters here.

It has WPS, and a quick setup page, which you can use and never touch advanced settings. The advanced settings can get, well, very advanced. There’s scripting, all kinds of VPN servers and clients, advanced routing, multiple WANs with failover and load balancing is possible, you can control multiple access points, and so on. But that’s like in Axe-FX, you don’t have to go there if you don’t need to. The default settings are fine, just change password and disable 2.4 GHz.

It is rock solid and blazing fast for simple home/stage use, which is what matters here.
hmm... looks great. i could never find something like that via search. might have to get one.

hmm... looks great. i could never find something like that via search. might have to get one.

I have two of their routers and three access points. These are like Axe-FXs among routers, except at a fraction of what their competitors charge for similar specs.

I have two of their routers and three access points. These are like Axe-FXs among routers, except at a fraction of what their competitors charge for similar specs.
is there an antenna that sticks out? the picture doesn't show one.

Nope, all antennas (there are several) are internal. You’ll get excellent signal with this one though.
wow perfect. i prefer routers without the antenna so it can get tucked into the rack. i used an asus for a while and just didn't attach the 3 antenna - worked great within like 20 feet, which is all i needed anyway.

Back
Top Bottom