Which poweramp to get for my AX8: Seymour Duncan powerstage vs EHX Magnum 44?

SebK

Hey!
Today, I've bought my first Fractal product, an AX8!
I'm very new to the world of modeling and Fractal audio systems, and I'm now thinking which poweramp to get. I know that this topic has been discussed before, but all threads seem to be quite old, and I think that there is a lot more experience with the SD powerstage since then.

At the moment, I mostly play at home, but I'm planning on joining a band very soon. I mainly play metal(core) and hardrock. At home, I have (and love) a Bogner 2x12 V30 cab.

I'm considering the following options:
  • Rocktron Velocity 300 used for €180
  • Electro-harmonix Magnum 44 new for €154
  • Seymour Duncan powerstage new for €359
  • FRFR cab
  • Matrix GT1000

I'd like to have enough power for live performances. Portability is also an import factor for me.
Cost is a factor, however I'd be happy to spend more money if the sound justifies the cost. I'd hate to see my investment in the ax8 wasted by a cheap poweramp.

Thanks in advance!

I had a magnum44 for a while. It was alright, but I don't think I'd ever consider it a primary part of a gig rig. It seemed to get loud enough, assuming you're planning on mic'ing up and only using your own cab as stage fill. Biggest thing that always annoyed the hell out of me was not having a power switch on it. Only way to turn it off was to unplug it. Also the power brick is twice the size of the amp itself.

I use a Matrix and its awesome. Before that I had an Engl 840/50, I loved it and only really switched because I wanted to see what it was like using a solid state amp. Way back (before I had any fractal stuff) I had a Rocktron Velocity 120, it was older, from the series before what the current ones looked like. I never had anything to complain about with it, but I was also pretty much bedroom only at the time.

I use a XiTone passive wedge with my Matrix sometimes, but I've never gotten an FRFR tone to sound good enough to replace my Vader 2x12 for rehearsal space stuff. Don't know about live and considering utility/ease over traditional sound, but for practicing/jamming/writing, I just can't see an FRFR wedge replacing my 2x12 for brutal high-gain stuff. I mostly use mine now for playing drum tracks and stuff.

I have the Magnum. It works in those rate occasions, where I use it. If it was a mainstay of my rig, I would likely go for the powerstage

I used a EHX Magnum 44 with my AX8 for almost two years with good results until it “fried”, LOL, not in the middle of a set at least! It’s weak point was not having an on/off switch. For replacement I got SD PS170 over a year ago... and so far so good! I’d recommend the 170 over the 44 unless budget constraints don’t allow for the price difference.

I'm fairly disappointed in my Magnum 44 and am looking to get the Powerstage. My Magnum might be faulty (got it used, don't know how old it is) but seems that the output volume fluctuates when it heats up and it's not super loud. I could also use the 3-band eq the PS has.

The PS absolutely is the better one. Sounds better, is flatter, louder and doesn’t distort.

The 44 is nice as a backup.

I use the 44 Magnum occasionally. No problems so far. Gets loud enough.

From a gig a couple of weeks ago. Out 1 to FOH, Out 2 to the 44 and 2x12 Mesa cab (no mic), just for some stage volume.

1.jpg2.jpg

Get the Powerstage 170. It's more than loud enough to get you kicked out of a venue, and the stand-alone EQ feature works great! I love mine. It runs rock steady at gigs and practice.

I use the Power Stage, coming from an ISP Stealth. Smaller, louder, no external power supply (alone this is so useful).

Fujiyama's closed down a few years back. Played there many times.

The pics are from the Cannon Club (new version) on BC Street. The owner is the drummer from Murasaki.

Ah that’s crazy. I haven’t been on the island since 08, but if you were gigging back then, chances are I probably watched a number of times... Fuji’s and G2G were basically my home on the weekends haha. Used to see fod and liberty risk all the time

Small world.

Ah that’s crazy. I haven’t been on the island since 08, but if you were gigging back then, chances are I probably watched a number of times... Fuji’s and G2G were basically my home on the weekends haha. Used to see fod and liberty risk all the time

Small world.

Wow. Small world. My band is Liberty Risk. We have changed up the song list a little.

FOD is gone. Rob is back in the States.

Yeah, Fuji's and G2G were the LIVE spots. G2G still is. Sometimes 7th Heaven.

Wow. Small world. My band is Liberty Risk. We have changed up the song list a little.

FOD is gone. Rob is back in the States.

Yeah, Fuji's and G2G were the LIVE spots. G2G still is. Sometimes 7th Heaven.

haha awesome, pretty sure I know who you are then. If I'm not wrong, I bought Rob's Engl and then traded the Marshall cab for your Vaders a while later right before I left the island...I let one of them go like a dumbass a few years back, but the one is still my primary cab 10 years later. Glad to see you guys are still going strong out there.

I've been also thinking about getting the powerstage. Might be a stupid question but is my 60W speaker cab in danger with the much bigger output power of the powerstage if I'm on a gig where it would need to be cranked up..

I've been also thinking about getting the powerstage. Might be a stupid question but is my 60W speaker cab in danger with the much bigger output power of the powerstage if I'm on a gig where it would need to be cranked up..

Solid state power amps work differently from tube power amps. In fact solid power amps should have more power than the speaker because of the clean headroom. A distorting solid state power amp is highly unpleasant and may even damage your speakers.

You should have more fear if your power amp is clipping. I am using the power stage on a 120W 2x12", and I experienced no issues. Usually speakers can cope with way more immediate power than the stated RMS value.

I have EHX Magnum and currently a FRFR 12 "Headrush.
I prefer the FRFR, since it gives me more definition when using IR's
The Magnum adds "color" and modifies the audio a bit, but I like it.

Back
Top Bottom