which potentiometers for H/H guitar?

Roadrunner

Power User
Hi

I got an Ibanez with 2 humbuckers which need new fresh potentiometers.

Anyway, it's been years since the last time I've replaced potentiometers, any recommends?

I know it should be 500kΩ but is there any special things to look for when selecting potentiometers?

Thanks.

The diameter and length of the mounting shaft, also the size were the knob goes on. Most are fairly universal but I have seen some variables. yes 500k ohm is the standard so to speak for hum guitars. I have used many different ohm ratings, and all worked but the smoothness of the swell is effected.

Pot taper is something to keep in mind. Generally you want to use logarithmic or audio taper pots for volume controls to give you a smooth transition from off to full volume. A linear taper pot will make the volume increase very quickly from off to close to full volume and then the rest of the pot rotation will do very little. Some folks that use their volume knob as more of a "kill switch" and don't do slow swells or in between settings sometimes prefer the fast taper of linear pots. Some also prefer linear pots for tone knobs, but again it's personal preference. I've got all log taper pots in my Les Paul and stock Fender tone pots are usually log taper as well. Keep in mind though that not all logarithmic or audio taper pots are created equally so different brand pots will often have slightly different tapers. Some even have custom tapers.

There's also damping. That's how easy the pot is to turn. Some folks like tight feeling pots that have a stiff rotation, while others like very loose feeling pots that can be turned very easily. Guitar pots are usually not very stiff for faster rotation, but different brands often have different feels.

Last thing is shaft end shape. That depends on the knobs you will be using. Knobs with set screws tend to work best on solid shafts. Push on plastic knobs like on most Strats and Les Pauls use knurled split shafts.

I've always had good luck with CTS pots over the years. Well made, nice tapers, medium damping with smooth feel, and long life. There's plenty of other good brands though like Bourns and Emerson.

Don't be like me, I was so excited to upgrade my electronics, but had to drill bigger holes in my guitar to fit the new larger shafts.

Back
Top Bottom