Which Pick Do You Pick

Back in the 70s I used to use tortoiseshell. Since then it's been mainly fingers. Lately my nails have been taking a battering,...
My nails are more brittle than they used to be, too. My secret: clear matte nail polish. Picking hand only. No one ever notices.

It'll be our little secret. :)

I only want boutique picks. Will settle for nothing less.

So I had mine custom-made and flown in. Made from the shell of George, the giant tortoise, 100 years sold and last of his kind, on the Galapagos. Hell, he was dying anyway. He's dead now for sure. So I have to look for another source in the league of almost extinct animals or unique materials. Can picks be made from Thorium?? :ugeek

P.S. Jens, you know, that smiley kinda looks like you, haha.

Especially when I wear my green glasses... But thanks for calling me a geek! :)

Maybe consider almost extinct baby animals, eat the flesh make picks and guitar-stands of the bones? Almost like a happy meal with a toy?

Jens

For me lately it has been JB picks, gauges vary depending what type of tone I may be chasing at the time. Play allot of acoustic. Maybe because they are a new pick for me, but I find them really comfortable. My everyday pick I carry on me is a 1.5. Also have been using Red Bear for around three years now, never had issues with them breaking or wearing prematurely as other have but everybody is different and mileage varies.

The thing with Red Bear I really seem to like there “Tuff Tone” picks better. At least on my acoustic guitars just a really nice balance.

another jazz 3 user here.
but lately have been using the eric johnson model.
tried v-picks once but although they are great to use, the pick chirps were driving me crazy..

Dunlop ultex jazz 2.0mm. I tried the Petrucci pick since I thought I'd like something slightly thinner, but after 30 seconds decided it wasn't for me.

I've used Dunlop delrin 2.0mm for ages.. just bought a bag of Petrucci Jazz III's and they are realy nice. Matte finish and his raised logo for grip and the point edge is polished. A tad larger than a regular jazz III which is good since i thought they were always too small.

I have been using Jazz III for years and tried couple of months ago a Red Bear Lil Jazzer XII (Heavy gauge) same shape than the jazz but thicker 1.65mm... and yes there is a difference in tone - brighter and louder - i guess partly due to the thickness - but still it holds very well in your hand and can be super fast. Then I tried a Blue Chip BC Jazz 60 (same shape but thinner) and here again it sounds fuller and clearer (i know all this adjective make us enter the subjective sphere) but not as bright as the Bear... Couldn't tell which one is the best? I guess it all depends on the kind of strings you are using. On my acoustic Taylor with Elixir strings the Bear is way too bright and I have the tendency to use some wood picks... You should check also the Dugain picks made by a guy in France... Dugain Picks - the ultimate guitar plectrum in horn, bone, ebony, acetate, bronze, agate, mammoth tusk, mother of pearl and many more natural materials.
He uses a lot of different material (stone, bone, etc..) and there is quite a lot to experiment in there... All best.

I always used Dunlop Jazz III for 20 years or so, and then I decided to experiment a little so,
I think I've tried somewhere between 60-80 different picks including several home made ones in different materials,
the best picks I've tried is without a doubt Fred Kelly 0.85 Poly Flat Pick (I have nothing to do with them)

Best tone and not slippery in my opinion

:)

Once I "discovered" Jass IIIs I had to try the various versions... If the Petrucci Jazz IIIs weren't larger than the regular ones, they'd be perfect... I love the grip on them, but they just don't fit in my fingers the same... I do use them for bass (however much I hate to admit that I end up laying down bass tracks with a pick rather than my fingers.) The max grip ones are just weird... they seem too grippy "normally" but with a little sweat they seem to become slippery...

Especially when I wear my green glasses... But thanks for calling me a geek! :)

Maybe consider almost extinct baby animals, eat the flesh make picks and guitar-stands of the bones? Almost like a happy meal with a toy?

Jens

Man, you're morbid. :)

Jazz III for the past two years now, red and black. black if i feel lucky, red if i know i will drop it by accident from typing on the computer.

Jazz III for the last 15 years but also mixed with Jazz III xl's and Jazz III ultex have an awesome feel but are very bright.

V-Picks here too... Screamers or Snakes are my favourite shapes.

A note to some who have tried v-picks and not liked them - try different styles. I originally thought that my playing style would work better with their rounded tip picks... Nope, sounded terrible. I tried some of their 'sharper' picks and they worked so much better for me.

I know the price of the picks precludes people from buying too many just to try out. Wish they would organise to send around a 'tour box' of a wide selection of picks that people could just try out. Vinni does however occasionally throw in one or two 'way out there picks' in with my orders so I can get to try out some crazy ones from time to time.

If you suffer hand cramps or fatigue - try their fatter picks. It really does seem to help with this.

Tip: Pick scrapes are VERBOTTEN with v-picks !! Vinni has threatened to 'visit' customers who try it... :D

I luv the jim dunlop jazz iii red large picks. Always hard for me to find though. Anyone try the new J P picks that JD makes now?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Back
Top Bottom