Which pair of amp + cab did you find most useful for stage/PA use?

Hhuent

Experienced
There is plenty of joy in my bedroom with the AX8 :yum:, I belong to the low OD fraction, no metal or hot compressed distortion allowed here :tongueclosed:. I picked AC-20, fender, triptic, CA 100 and a few other amps with their recommended cabs which give me quite a big tonal range.
But things are getting serious, stage levels this time. My next gig will be the first with the AX8 going FRFR. Did you find that for clean, gritty and low OD sounds the usual suspects work best for you and the soundman? In the sense of: On stage I allways come back to a certain amp+cab combination which gives me the best results under live conditions. Everyone loves to talk about his special sound but maybe there are preferred amp/cabs when playing with the band?

Same here as far as no high gain sounds. I have presets using several different amps with factory cab 175 but it seems that I keep coming back to the combination of that cab and the double verb amp with scenes setup at different drive levels and FAS drive pedal (plus all the usual effects as required, of course!). Sounds good to me alone or in the mix.

For my last (and so far only) gig with Ax8 I used only the AC30 nrml for cleans (sometimes combined with a Tube driver 3-knob) for those mild breakup tones and a 1987x for my drive sounds - sometimes combined with a TS808 OD when I needed that extra drive and focus - I used my favourite combination of a F093 2x12 Class-A 30W Blue Mix combined with -3 dB of F034 4x12 Basketweave G12H30 (RW) for all patches - that gave me great consistent sound through the night.

For the next gig, I might add in the Brit JM45, the Dirty Shirley and the Boutique 1, as I have had great fun with these lately

For my last (and so far only) gig with Ax8 I used only the AC30 nrml for cleans (sometimes combined with a Tube driver 3-knob) for those mild breakup tones and a 1987x for my drive sounds - sometimes combined with a TS808 OD when I needed that extra drive and focus - I used my favourite combination of a F093 2x12 Class-A 30W Blue Mix combined with -3 dB of F034 4x12 Basketweave G12H30 (RW) for all patches - that gave me great consistent sound through the night.

For the next gig, I might add in the Brit JM45, the Dirty Shirley and the Boutique 1, as I have had great fun with these lately

Brilliant! Exactly what I hoped for...

Maz 38 for probably 100 gigs now (with Axe-Fx mostly). Thing sounds great. I use it mostly clean with just a bit of hair on X and on Y more preamp gain for a nice low gain breakup up/drive sound.

Yesterday I was inspired by Yek's amp threads and I put together a preset with the Bludotone Ojai clean and Lead 1 models for X and Y. It was really fun in a trio + singer context at the club last night. Had me shredding on my Tele!

I think it depends on the guitars you play, the sonic space you take up (style of playing and music) and the sound and feel you are trying to cover. There are so many great choices.

Maz 38 for probably 100 gigs now (with Axe-Fx mostly). Thing sounds great. I use it mostly clean with just a bit of hair on X and on Y more preamp gain for a nice low gain breakup up/drive sound.

Yesterday I was inspired by Yek's amp threads and I put together a preset with the Bludotone Ojai clean and Lead 1 models for X and Y. It was really fun in a trio + singer context at the club last night. Had me shredding on my Tele!

I think it depends on the guitars you play, the sonic space you take up (style of playing and music) and the sound and feel you are trying to cover. There are so many great choices.

yeah, thanks, keep em coming...
like I said before, clean (with a little hair), gritty, low OD sounds are my cup of tea. Ocasionally some lead tone, no high gain, metal, shredding. A tad of compression to have more sustain, I hate compressor settings that obviously kill dynamics. I play funk, blues, jazz (but not that clean polytone sound), top 40 covers, sometimes 70s rock. For the most part I am playing single coil Fenders (pre cbs strats, 60s tele), later I will dial in some presets for my 60s gibsons (trini lopez - 335 style and 330 (hardly playable on stage), but at this moment I prefer low output single coils by far. Lots of rhythm work - few solos... baked in in the bands sound. Things like dynamics, string separation, clarity mean much to me.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty similar to me. I do play leads whenever I have the opportunity, but I use a drive block to push the amp for that. Try the Maz 38. It is beautiful and excellent in a live setting. Cuts through, not so compressed that you lose the body at volume, really beautiful grit when pushed. I like it through Celestion Blue cab IRs.

I'm doing my first gig with the AX8 this weekend. It's also my first gig with a Fractal unit period. I've had the Axe-Fx for about 2 years now but never gigged it. Will be my first gig in 25 years without a tube amp. Little nervous but also excited. My tube amp rig is the 5153 100 watt and 4x12 cab so I'm using the 5153 blue amp block and the matching 4x12 cab with a BB Boost in the drive block. Sounds just like my tube rig. So far it's sounds great through our Mackie PA at our studio. We'll see this Saturday night.

DC30 and wth any good Alnico IR....kills floral most anything, period.

Floral? :)
8DsBYRb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom