Which OD to crunchify a clean channel?

alexwald

I have a EVH 5150 III S and I'm trying to use the clean channel with an OD from my FX8 to get a nice crunchy tone; any recommendations towards this? I've tried TS808 + Fulltone OD dialed in different ways but not 100% happy with the results

I really like the zen drive, or the 3 knob Tube Driver. For my metal tones, I've been reaching for the shred distortion from the tip by manxmusician in a previous quote. Works great!!

For my crunch I tend to use the Timmy with the gain ramped up. I loved the zen drive but it was a little too compressed for what play, for a blues band it would be great!

It all depends on your definition of "crunch". Some say it's simply low to medium gain, others have a certain gain structure in mind regardless of the gain level. For my crunch, I like the Fat Rat with gain @.5 - 1.0 and tone @ 3 - 4. I also set the Mid Freq @ 400Hz and boost it about 3dB.

I have been using the Zen Drive, 3 Knob Tube, and the Micro Amp.

Adjust the gain to taste. Also adjusting the the lo cut and hi cut filter make a huge difference.

I had a 5150 III 50W for a while and I never had any luck with OD pedals in front of the clean channel. This was with my FX8, a real Timmy and a real TS9. It could be that I never found the right OD, but I just don't think the clean channel on those amps takes drive pedals very well. I love the FX8 ODs (TS, Timmy, Eternal Love, Esoteric ACB/RCB) in front of my other amps.

I had a 5150 III 50W for a while and I never had any luck with OD pedals in front of the clean channel. This was with my FX8, a real Timmy and a real TS9. It could be that I never found the right OD, but I just don't think the clean channel on those amps takes drive pedals very well. I love the FX8 ODs (TS, Timmy, Eternal Love, Esoteric ACB/RCB) in front of my other amps.
Good point, the amp has a lot to do with how pedals react, my JSX clean channel didn't take overdrives well either. With these amps though, overdrives aren't really necessary anyway.:sunglasses:
I've tried TS808 + Fulltone OD dialed in different ways but not 100% happy with the results
You might try experimenting with the Bias and Sample Rate in the Advanced parameters. Lowering the Sample Rate to @20,000 Hz has helped the feel of a couple of the drives for me. Lowering the Mix can help the feel as well. I'm presuming you've tried other Clip Types, if not give others a try.

Back
Top Bottom