Which modeler to use as a backup to my AX8?

Cyguitar

I am looking for a modeler to bring to shows/ have a backup for my AX8. I was thinking about the FM3, but that would be more expensive than the main thing. One day, maybe I can afford the FM9, and an FM3 as a backup, but until then... I have been looking at the HX Stomp, or the Headrush M5. My backup needs to sound good, but be smaller and less expensive than the AX8. Right now I am currently bringing to gigs, a Tech 21 Fly Rig. It will get me by in an emergency, but I wouldn't have many sounds/effects.

If you have no way to get the FM9 and are adamant about buying a backup how about the Line 6 M13? I used one for many years. Pretty damn good and you can attach a few pedals to it. I was also thinking why not buy another AX8 right now? So you have two? The chance of both breaking down is almost ZERO and you can get a used AX8 for just a little more than a HX effects. But those are basically your options.. M13, HX Effects, or another AX8 while they're dirt cheap and still out there. Also you have all your song settings stored in the AX8 backup and its only restore compatible with the AX8 right? You don't want to just transfer blocks. You want all the presets -- hell for a gigging musician that's more important than the fanciest equipment. So two AX8's are your best choice and will last you a lifetime.

Last edited:
The line6 m13 is only effects, I'm using a line6 hd500x for a backup, should be able to get one of those <$200

If your plan is to eventually get an FM9 with an FM3 for a backup, you should spend your money investing for the future instead of buying future junkers. Buy the FM3 for $999 before it goes off sale. It will give you two options:

1. Continue using the AX8 and build similar presets on the FM3 as a backup/second unit.
2. Start using the FM3 now, and use the AX8 as a backup. All of your FM3 presets can later be loaded on the FM9.

A brand new, full warranty FM3 is only a few hundred dollars more than a used AX8 these days. You may find out that it’s all you need, and already have a great backup in the AX8. If you still want the FM9, sell the AX8 later to partially fund it, and move the FM3 to the backup role. No sense in putting yourself in the position of having to sell two AX8s (or some other lesser pedal) and the come up with cash for both the FM3 and an FM9.

Buy once, cry once.

If your plan is to eventually get an FM9 with an FM3 for a backup, you should spend your money investing for the future instead of buying future junkers. Buy the FM3 for $999 before it goes off sale. It will give you two options:

1. Continue using the AX8 and build similar presets on the FM3 as a backup/second unit.
2. Start using the FM3 now, and use the AX8 as a backup. All of your FM3 presets can later be loaded on the FM9.

A brand new, full warranty FM3 is only a few hundred dollars more than a used AX8 these days. You may find out that it’s all you need, and already have a great backup in the AX8. If you still want the FM9, sell the AX8 later to partially fund it, and move the FM3 to the backup role. No sense in putting yourself in the position of having to sell two AX8s (or some other lesser pedal) and the come up with cash for both the FM3 and an FM9.

Buy once, cry once.
Yeah dude you have the smartest answer but I bought the AX8 and now am stuck with a $2000 pedalboard I want to get rid off that's 5 months old that no one wants unless I sell for 50% cost which is crazy for such new equipment. So I wouldn't want to buy an FM3, and get stuck selling my pedalboard AND the AX8 later to fund money for the FM9. It's a bitch getting rid of equipment for good prices. You've literally got to wait sometimes a year or more to get your money's worth or one would just go broke buying new equipment all the time. Right now my pedalboard is just collecting dust. I'm not buying anything until I sell it off!

The AX8 is the BEST backup for the AX8. Having said that your AX8 is not going to break down. It will last you 20+ years .. It's ROBUST moreso than BOSS pedals and we know how long those beasts last! You will buy NEW gear and sell off your AX8 long before it ever breaks down. The only chance of it breaking down is if you did something clumsy like dropped it down the stairs (which is why I bought a robust padded AX8 TRAVEL CASE). Furthermore, those who don't gig and leave their AX8 in their studio have virtually nothing to worry about... If a fire burned your place down you DO have insurance right? Much worse things to worry about my friend. :)

The AX8 is the BEST backup for the AX8. Having said that your AX8 is not going to break down. It will last you 20+ years .. It's ROBUST moreso than BOSS pedals and we know how long those beasts last! You will buy NEW gear and sell off your AX8 long before it ever breaks down. The only chance of it breaking down is if you did something clumsy like dropped it down the stairs (which is why I bought a robust padded AX8 TRAVEL CASE). Furthermore, those who don't gig and leave their AX8 in their studio have virtually nothing to worry about... If a fire burned your place down you DO have insurance right? Much worse things to worry about my friend. :)
Gear breaks all the time for various reasons... Doesn't mean the gear is bad.

If you gig you should have a backup rig to cover that scenario.

Yeah dude you have the smartest answer but I bought the AX8 and now am stuck with a $2000 pedalboard I want to get rid off that's 5 months old that no one wants unless I sell for 50% cost which is crazy for such new equipment. So I wouldn't want to buy an FM3, and get stuck selling my pedalboard AND the AX8 later to fund money for the FM9. It's a bitch getting rid of equipment for good prices. You've literally got to wait sometimes a year or more to get your money's worth or one would just go broke buying new equipment all the time. Right now my pedalboard is just collecting dust. I'm not buying anything until I sell it off!
Certainly, you have to do what works for you!

Gear breaks all the time for various reasons... Doesn't mean the gear is bad.

If you gig you should have a backup rig to cover that scenario.
Yea I agree. I'm not currently gigging.. Mostly a recording artist these days. My live performances have dwindled down to playing in front of family, friends, and relatives. I do look at the bright side though, no drunk guys spilling alcohol on my AX8, or trying to steal my equipment at a bar, or having my equipment being taken out into all kinds of changing temperatures and weather forecasts. :)

I would say the Tech 21 fly rig is the perfect backup rig. If your Ax8 goes down all you need is something to get you through the gig. It´s extremely lightweight and sounds decent. You could add a mooer radar to use it with an Ir instead but also works as is.

I say keep the AX8 and save up for an FM9 should you need it in the future. No sense in going to an FM3 in the interim with it's 3 switches. Sell off your pedals to save up for the FM9. I don't know about you guys but I already invested hundreds of dollars in preprogrammed presets for songs from my favorite Tribute Guitarists for the AX8... I'd rather just keep the AX8 as backup and then buy an FM9 with another set of preprogrammed song presets again for my performing song list in the future. BTW what is the average life expectancy for the AX8 according to Fractal? (I'm talking about before the hardware starts to break down?). Assuming you don't do something stupid like drop it on the ground or use it outside in a rainstorm! LOL! Cheers! Adrian

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom