Which Mission Engineering Pedal for MFC-101

GreatGreen said:
Could you use a single Mission Engineering pedal for volume and wah? For example, once you activate a patch, the pedal is in volume mode, but you can step on it and convert it into a wah pedal?

The problem with that approach though is that your pedal may be set at the wrong level when you come out of the patch.

Eg you have a certain volume set, then change to wah. When you change back to using the pedal as a volume pedal, it might not be in the same position as you left it and you'll get a sudden change in volume as soon as you move it again.

I tried my pedals in that way and it was messy playing live. much better to have volume and any effects separate in my view.
Switching between wah and whammy etc would work tho.

Just my view

If you use the toe switch on the pedal, wouldn't either effect always be at 100% when you engage the switch? I used to use a Line 6 shortboard which switched between wah/volume via a toe switch and it worked pretty well. Not sure how this would be any different.

Joe said:
Hi,
Mike Snider said:
favance said:
So now that I've had a look at the manual, it shows that Expression Pedals are connected using a TRS Cable (not a guitar cable). Does this mean the Mission Pedals like the SP-1 need 2 TRS Cables connected to the MFC-101? Or do you use a Y Cable with the Y connected to the SP-1 and the TRS connected to the MFC-101? Or do you need 2 TRS Cables for 1 SP-1, in order to use the On/Off Switch to control the Effect...

two TRS needed for the SP-1
one TRS goes from mission out(for switch) and connects into the MFC 101 switch connector. This allows you to turn the expression (cc control for an effect or modifier) on/off.
TRS cable 2 connects from Mission out 9for expression) and connects to MFC 101 expression 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.
if I'm not wrong you would only need 1 TRS and 1 TS cable to achieve this. The TRS cable is used to connect the expression pedal out to the Expression Pedal Input on the MFC and the TS cable is used to connect the switch on the pedal to the Switches Input on the MFC.

Best,

Jochen

Just to verify
http://www.mission-engineering.com/Miss ... -guide.pdf
The manual will specify two TRS needed.

Hi,
Mike Snider said:
Just to verify

I read this but do not understand why they are using a TRS for the switch output. I have an old Wah which has been converted to an expression pedal with a switch and it uses TRS for the expression output and TS for the switch output and it worked perfect connected directly to the Axe.

I haven't tried this one with the MFC, but if I understand the MFC's manual correctly it will work with the MFC too.

Perhaps they (Mission) use TRS for the switch output because you can order the SP-1 with an additional LED and the TRS is used to sync the status of the LED with the MFC?

Best,

Jochen

Joe said:
Hi,
Mike Snider said:
Just to verify

I read this but do not understand why they are using a TRS for the switch output. I have an old Wah which has been converted to an expression pedal with a switch and it uses TRS for the expression output and TS for the switch output and it worked perfect connected directly to the Axe.

I haven't tried this one with the MFC, but if I understand the MFC's manual correctly it will work with the MFC too.

Perhaps they (Mission) use TRS for the switch output because you can order the SP-1 with an additional LED and the TRS is used to sync the status of the LED with the MFC?

Best,

Jochen
Agreed- seems like it should be just a TS...it is just a switch
You may be right on with the LED

I'm surprised that the LF and LG specific models don't work as is with the MFC. The only difference afaics is that the LF/LG models use a momentary switch and not a latching one. I would have thought that momentary would be better and surely momentary switches work with the MFC?

If the switch is latching and you switch it once before moving to a different preset, the current state of the switch might not match with the state of the connected block in the AxeFx - hence a momentary switch would make more sense. Thoughts?

OK. Let's see if we can most of the technical questions squared away in one post ;-)

the -R option on any of the Mission pedals adds a polarity switch for the potentiometer. This is *not* a requirement for direct connection to the Axe-FX or the MFC-101. It *is* required for some MIDI controllers such as the Rocktron All Access, Midimate, and a few others. Having the switch means we don't have to hard-wire one way or the other. If you you want to use your Mission pedal sometimes plugged into the Axe, and sometimes into a MIDIMate, it's fine, you just flip the switch. You can buy one pedal and have the best chance of working with multiple devices.

The standard SP-1 and SP1-R use a latching switch wired TRS. The reason for this is that several controllers, the Voodoo Lab GCPro for sure, and several others, do not have a dedicated switch input, and only expect TRS expression pedals to be connected. These will not work with a TS wired switch. By wiring a 3 pole switch TRS, it 'tricks' the controller into thinking it has an expression pedal with only off (0) and on (127). This is how Mission gets a switch function into a controller that does not really support it.

The Mission SP1-LF has a momentary switch wired TRS, rather than a latching switch. This is based on input from Jeff that, this is the most reliable switch option for an LF-Pro and Jr. The Mission SP1-LG has a momentary switch wired TS with isolated grounds, which is a requirement for best operation with the Gordius controllers. These designs are based on extensive input from Fractal, Jeff at LF and Xavier at Gordius. We don't guess this stuff - these things work cos Cliff, Matt, Jeff, Xavier etc and me all collaborate to make it happen, Ha Ha! Anyhoo, as reported earlier in this thread, Matman tested the SP1-LF and the SP1-LG and they also should work with the MFC-101. Fractal does a fantastic job of making their products compatible with a wide range of inputs. Once we get an MFC-101 here at Mission we'll do some more testing and figure out if there is anything special we can do, and I haven't ruled out an MFC specific design, but for now we are recommending the standard SP-1 or SP1-R. There's an 'official' Mission statement on MFC-101 compatibility on the support page of the website. Hope that helps a bit. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me directly at james@mission-engineering.com. James.

That was helpful, James. Thanks. You'll be getting my SP-1 order as soon as my name comes up for the MFC. :)

lebihanj said:
Once we get an MFC-101 here at Mission we'll do some more testing and figure out if there is anything special we can do, and I haven't ruled out an MFC specific design, but for now we are recommending the standard SP-1 or SP1-R. There's an 'official' Mission statement on MFC-101 compatibility on the support page of the website. Hope that helps a bit. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me directly at james@mission-engineering.com. James.

Thanks James... I just ordered 2 of the SP1-R Pedals!

Back
Top Bottom