Which Midi Keyboard would be best for me?

ChrisMetal86

Experienced
So for Black Friday, I bought some more software for my DAW. Got the Nashville EZX and EZKeys Small Upright Piano stupid cheap! I'm looking for a Midi Keyboard to use with programming drums and possibly some Piano parts. I'm not really familiar with the Midi Keyboards, but the Point & Click stuff is getting old haha. My space is kinda limited to be honest, so I can't go with a huge board, but I still want something that will possibly let me use it for the piano software on occasion. With that said, would a 49 key or 61 key be better for me? Also, can you adjust the range of the piano on the smaller boards (ex: more towards the treble end, and later towards the bass end for different songs/programming)? I'm mostly going to using it for drums, but might on occasion use it for the piano. Kinda just bought EZKeys on a whim since it was only $29. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Take a look at M-Audio 49 models. I own one at the right of the desk ready to catch inspiration. Useful and relative cheep.

Take a look at M-Audio 49 models. I own one at the right of the desk ready to catch inspiration. Useful and relative cheep.

I was looking at those earlier. My question is if the Piano is 73 keys, is the Midi keyboards range/position adjustable to use different areas of the virtual piano? I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense lol.

Yes you can move up or down with two buttons selecting different areas of the virtual instruments. If the vsti is an 88 keys piano with the 49 keys keyboard you will use just 49 keys but you can move through octaves. (If I understand your question ;) )

Yes you can move up or down with two buttons selecting different areas of the virtual instruments. If the vsti is an 88 keys piano with the 49 keys keyboard you will use just 49 keys but you can move through octaves. (If I understand your question ;) )
Yes that is what im referring to. I think I'll go ahead and order it tomorrow then, thanks Diego!

Yes you can usually transpose the range up or down on the shorter boards. There's usually octave up and down buttons on them somewhere. 49 key is a good utility size. Decent range for basic piano work and plenty for drums, etc. For more advanced piano work, 61 or 76 are the sweet spots. Full 88 is rarely ever used and those boards are enormous. For drums, boards with trigger pads built in are nice to have too. Heard good things about the Akai Pro MPK series. Build in assignable pads, sliders, knobs, and DAW transport controls too. Been thinking of replacing my cheap no-name MIDI board with one.

I've had a ton of midi controllers as I play keys in my band as well. Tons of good options. I'm a midi controller junkie. If you live near a GC go up and try out the keys on a few. Then search CL or local facebook gear groups and grab a used one.

Ones I've used...
Akai mpk 249 (keys are better and so are the pads) MPK 49 you can upgrade the pads but the keys are pretty stiff
Novation sl mkii keys are great. Pads are terrible
Novation impules - pretty decent keys and pads.
Roland A 800 pro great synth action keys and sturdy build. Pads are ok
Alesis VI 49. If you are looking at the m audio code, save some dough and get this. Keys are very similar and pads are pretty decent too
Native Instruments Kontrol series have a great feel but no pads
Ive heard good things about the Nektar cheaper keyboards as well.

Another option you might wish to consider is an old hardware synth and then a cheap dedicated pad controller. Older hardware keyboards have some pretty great key action to them. Or even grab one of the really cheaper small 49 controllers and a separate pad controller.

Back
Top Bottom