Which Matrix Power Amp Do You All Recommend?

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi guys,

Got my Axe III on Monday and I'm loving it so far. I still have my Axe II XL+ which I plan to sell and use some of the cash on a Matrix power amp.

I have been using the II via the 4cm with my Boogie head when I go out gigging with the band but I'd like to try the III going direct into the PA and use my boogie cab as a monitor with the power amp. 2 to my cab. I just wondered which Matrix power amp you'd all recommend?

I don't really play metal in the band, we are a cover/party band and play mainly weddings, birthday events etc. So our sets are quite varied.

Many thanks
Paul

GT1000FX.

There are also great "compact" alternatives. Such as Seymour Duncan's Power Stage 170.

Thanks yek, I think I'd like to stick to the Matrix stuff to be honest I've heard they are pretty robust and they go well with the AXE.

I have only used the GM50, which is 250 watts. Only one time have I used it just past half way up. It is crazy loud!

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I think I'm gonna go for the GT1000FX. Just gotta sell my Axe II first and then I'll get one. Just trying to get everything setup with my RJM MMGT at the moment. Getting there though.

I use the GT1000FX 1U to power 2 Xitone passive wedges with excellent results or to power a 4x12 cab when necessary at rehearsals . About 3 yrs old no trouble .

Hi guys,

Managed to get a 2nd hand GT1000FX over the weekend off of ebay. Great price too!

I just want to make sure I've got this correct. If I'm running output 1 to my band's PA, output 2 on the axe III to would go to my Matrix input? And then output of my power amp to my speaker cab. Do you guys run a humbuster cable from output 2 on the axe III to the input of the Matrix?

Cheers
Paul

I got my GT1000FX today guys, And all I can say is wow! it sounds awesome. USA clean for my clean sounds awesome, Friedman HBE for all my dirty and lead sounds just awesome as well!

I'm recording with the band in a few weeks and it's safe to say I'll be using the axe III and the matrix for sure. My crybaby rack wah is going I no longer need it the axe covers my wah needs. I can't believe what a step up from the Axe II the III is. I'm so happy lol.

Do you guys switch your Matrix on last on power up and then when powering down first off?

Cool just checking I'm doing it right. How about cabs what are you all using? Any advantages over using 8 ohms or 16?

Anyone tried the matrix cabs? Also if I'm sending out 1 on the axe to FOH can I just tap off out 2 on the grid in axe edit to connect to my cab for monitoring?

Last edited:
Cool just checking I'm doing it right. How about cabs what are you all using? Any advantages over using 8 ohms or 16?
Personally I use 2 Marshall 1x12 cabs loaded with EVM12Ls .... the ideal gig for me would be where the stage is large and I have my own FR wedge monitor in front of me feeding me back what I feed thru Out 1 to FOH and my MatrixGT1000FX/normal cabs fed by Out 2 behind as backline - but turned down quite low.

However, my average small gig just merits a backline set up and no room for a wedge so I prefer the standard guitar cab backline approach - I can still send Out 1 to FOH if using the AxeFX rig - or I just use my tube rack rig and hang a couple of e609 mics on the cabs. I still like my tube rig and believe it or not some of the stages we play are too small to squeeze the MFC and 2 exp pedals pedalboard onto!

Ohms rating of cab being 8 or 16 should make no difference as far as using the Matrix - it's the wattage rating of the speakers that matters and how much signal you throw at them. You will notice a difference using a solid state amp compared to a tube power amp ... something to do with the output transformer interaction with speakers ... to me it's a 'perceived loudness' thing but not a tone thing - if the tone from the AxeFX is dialled to be good then the Matrix and FRFR cab will keep it sounding good.

Anyone tried the matrix cabs? Also if I'm sending out 1 on the axe to FOH can I just tap off out 2 on the grid in axe edit to connect to my cab for monitoring?
I've tried 2 types of (passive) Matrix cabs - first a NL212 with extended range 12 in speakers, stereo/mono switchable - didn't do it for me so changed that to a FR212 - mono with the extended 12 in speakers, passive crossover and a flared HF driver ... still have it but don't use it. I just don't get on that well with FRFR as loudish backline in smaller venues and our loud drummer .... but that's just my opinion and what I feel most comfortable with. I could write a small novel length of a post going into all the details - but I think it's something you just need to try out for yourself and see if it works for you. Old dog new tricks thing with me possibly .... but quite a lot to do with some of the ridiculous venues we as a 6 piece classic rock covers outfit have to squeeze into. Love the technology but I love playing more so I'm doing what I have to do.

Yes - you can send Out 2 to your Matrix GT1000FX and cab(s) - you'll need to place Out 2 before your Cab block in your grid if using standard guitar cabs

Thanks guys,

Can I just ask you something else, I've got an RJM Tone Saver buffer that I Iike to use as it has a tuner out for my polytune which is always on and then I can just set my vol pedal to the off position and tune up silently on the fly. This would need to fed into the output of the axe so it can get a signal.

Is it ok to feed this to output 1 of the axe and then to my Matrix? and then use out 2 to go to FOH? I've set out 2 to copy out 1 so it should get the same signal right? Would I still need to stick a 2nd cab block on the grid to tap off? Or is it better to do it the other way? out 1 to FOH and out 2 to my tone saver, matrix and cab etc?

Thanks again

Paul

Confused a bit .....

Where is the buffer pedal in your current 4CM rig's routing?

Are you using a Midi Foot Controller with the Volume pedal being an expression pedal connected to it?

If you're switching from 4CM to using your III for all amp. FX and Cab duties with solid state FRFR monitoring then unless you plan to use a FX loop in the III to use with external FX and have long cable runs involved you shouldn't need the buffer any more.

I like to use a pedal type tuner too - so on my AxeFX/MFC/Matrix setup (or any rig) it's simply in line with my guitar cable (Instrument In) - I hit the tuner to rune up and it auto mutes the signal. If you prefer to have an isolated feed going to your always on tuner pedal then you could route it so pretty easily given the multitude of outs available on the III - tap into an Out 3 or Out 4 block directly before your Vol pedal block in the grid and run a cable from it's corresponding output on the rear of the III to the pedal (reduce level of the out block to suit the likely instrument level input of the pedal)

Confused a bit .....

Where is the buffer pedal in your current 4CM rig's routing?

Are you using a Midi Foot Controller with the Volume pedal being an expression pedal connected to it?

If you're switching from 4CM to using your III for all amp. FX and Cab duties with solid state FRFR monitoring then unless you plan to use a FX loop in the III to use with external FX and have long cable runs involved you shouldn't need the buffer any more.

I like to use a pedal type tuner too - so on my AxeFX/MFC/Matrix setup (or any rig) it's simply in line with my guitar cable (Instrument In) - I hit the tuner to rune up and it auto mutes the signal. If you prefer to have an isolated feed going to your always on tuner pedal then you could route it so pretty easily given the multitude of outs available on the III - tap into an Out 3 or Out 4 block directly before your Vol pedal block in the grid and run a cable from it's corresponding output on the rear of the III to the pedal (reduce level of the out block to suit the likely instrument level input of the pedal)

Sorry my fault I know it's a bit confusing, I'm probably not explaining it properly.

Yes I'm using an RJM MMGT22 with a Fractal EV-1 as my global vol pedal on the axe. I have a vol block in my chain as well.

If I was running 4CM I'd just put the Tone Saver in Out 1 of the axe and use the tuner out to my tuner. But because I now want to start using the axe direct into the pa and then run a separate output with my matrix, and guitar cab. I'd just need an out to use with my polytune. I'm not really using the buffer in the tone saver to be honest I just like using the tuner out.

What if I ran the tuner as you do, through the front input of the axe. Can I have it always on so I can just roll my vol pedal off and tune silently?

Thanks again

Paul

What if I ran the tuner as you do, through the front input of the axe. Can I have it always on so I can just roll my vol pedal off and tune silently?

Do you really need the Vol pedal to be involved at all? Why not just set the Polytune up to mute output when stomped on to tune? True bypass when off and mute out when active. Do you tune mid song or something that requires the guitar signal to still pass through a hanging chord as you tune?

You can always set up your presets to use one of the out blocks as I described earlier to completely isolate your Polytune from the AxeFX out signal path and have it 'always on'

I use a Korg Blackout - it just mutes the signal when stomped on and has True Bypass when inactive - so no need to use a volume pedal which suits me fine. The Polytune I'm sure has a similar 'mute when stomped mode' you could use unless it's strictly necessary that you want to use a Vol pedal too.

I've usually a 20' and a 10' cable in and out of my tuner pedal, sometimes a 20' and a 18' - so 30' or 40' run from guitar to amp input and have no discernable signal degradation

Back
Top Bottom