Which segment is the real amp?

• A

Votes: 69 39.0%
  • B

Votes: 46 26.0%
  • C

Votes: 62 35.0%

• Total voters
Lol... he certainly was correct when he stated to watch the numbers for C climb after he posted the results. Lol. Oddly, with them all adjusted for same RMS level, IMO, C sounded the worse. I didn't
like the saturation as much as the other two.

Results:

A: Axe-Fx with lowshelf filter before amp block.
B: Axe-Fx
C: Real amp

A ended up louder after normalization probably because the lowshelf reduced the dynamic range a bit.

IOW, most people were wrong. Let's see how the poll changes now that I've released the results. Historically the poll statistics will change with people claiming "oh, I didn't read the answer but I could tell. There's something more organic, blah, blah...".

At the time of this posting the results were 29, 22, 20. Of course now that I've said this those "a posteriori" people will be disinclined to post.

Cliff, I just heard this for the first time and (insert front door brag here) detected C as real amp. However, I didn't choose it because it sounded the best or most "natural," but rather because of some typical recording anomalies most people without a nice recording setup and experience will suffer. Pandora's box...

This was big part of Stryper's guitar tone! I read Michael Sweet use a PEQ before the amp boosting around 800Hz! I was a big fan of their work and tone! Great trick!
Another common practice that works great is putting a peaking EQ before the amp block. For example, try a peaking EQ at around 750 Hz, Q = 0.7, gain = 6 dB. Adjust to taste.

I'm trying to make these common techniques "push-button".

I'd guess that seeing as some thirty months have passed since Cliff first posted the test, all bets will now be off and the revisions made then have all been somewhat superseded anyway... ;)

I went A only because it was louder and I thought it might be harder to control the sound/volume of a real amp at low volumes vs the Axe. I liked the sound for all of them though.

Back
Top Bottom