Which segment is the real amp?

• A

Votes: 69 39.0%
  • B

Votes: 46 26.0%
  • C

Votes: 62 35.0%

• Total voters
If you redid the experiment I'd like to see how many people could pick out the real amp having now heard all 3. I'm guessing you'd get a similar distribution of real vs axe guesses.

To replicate what I did in A you need to put a 1st-order lowshelf in front of the amp block. Unfortunately you can only do this in the beta firmware I am running. You can get close with the following settings in the Filter block:

Type: Lowshelf
Freq: 120 Hz
Order: 2nd
Q: 0.5
Gain: -6.00 dB

Adjust gain to taste. You may then need to add some bass back in after the amp block or using the EQ page in the amp block.

I'm contemplating making this a switch in the amp block called "Tight" or (or "Cut" because that fits in the text outline).

Isn't there a first order filter in the filter block now?
Great idea on bush button techniques.

But on a serious note,

I like Bandaxall shelf EQ's. Like the Bandaxall mode of the UAD Cambridge EQ plug.

Very musical sounding to me on audio.

Not a fan of bush button techniques myself but well, different people different opinions. :)

I generally prefer to set things myself, but know a lot of people that prefer a streamlined approach.

Last edited:
I generally prefer set things myself, but know a lot of people that prefer a streamlined approach.

I agree, but as long as I know what the "streamlined approach" is doing, flicking through a few of them can be nice to find good starting points.

I'm contemplating making this a switch in the amp block called "Tight" or (or "Cut" because that fits in the text outline).
good idea, having set "producer buttons" available. another almost similar thing was discussed recently here with the idea of having "mod buttons", like the Jose mod etc, available by the flick of a switch (not sure if that's so easy to do though).

To replicate what I did in A you need to put a 1st-order lowshelf in front of the amp block. Unfortunately you can only do this in the beta firmware I am running. You can get close with the following settings in the Filter block:

Type: Lowshelf
Freq: 120 Hz
Order: 2nd
Q: 0.5
Gain: -6.00 dB

Adjust gain to taste. You may then need to add some bass back in after the amp block or using the EQ page in the amp block.

I've been doing this with the Suhr Badger for a few months. It sounds so good. lol

good idea, having set "producer buttons" available. another almost similar thing was discussed recently here with the idea of having "mod buttons", like the Jose mod etc, available by the flick of a switch (not sure if that's so easy to do though).

The SAT switch is the Jose mod, IIRC.

I was totally fooled! I only thought A was a bit unnatural sounding but B was definitely the best IMO. C had this harsh Palmer PDI-09 thing going on... then again I never player the real amp. :)

I'll take all the push button presets Cliff wants to throw at me.

I'm still looking for the Carlos Santana Moonflower tone button....

The best of both worlds would be a push button but with adjustable settings in the advanced tab. Just like the bright switch, where you can turn it on or off with the push of a button but you can also go in and modify the bright cap. Here you could turn the tight/cut on or off with a button but maybe adjust the frequency/Q/gain/whatever in the advanced tab if you wanted to tweak Cliff's defaults.

Well, all these years of recording amps finally paid off...lol I guessed C, I think I know what a recorded amp and cabinet sounds like under a mic... cheers!

The SAT switch is the Jose mod, IIRC.
yeah, I know that. it was just an example. there are a few other mods out there which may be cool to have access to via just a single switch. that's what was proposed in the other thread recently and it's a cool idea imho.

Back
Top Bottom