• A

Votes: 69 39.0%
  • B

Votes: 46 26.0%
  • C

Votes: 62 35.0%

• Total voters
Results:

A: Axe-Fx with lowshelf filter before amp block.
B: Axe-Fx
C: Real amp

A ended up louder after normalization probably because the lowshelf reduced the dynamic range a bit.

IOW, most people were wrong. Let's see how the poll changes now that I've released the results. Historically the poll statistics will change with people claiming "oh, I didn't read the answer but I could tell. There's something more organic, blah, blah...".

At the time of this posting the results were 29, 22, 20. Of course now that I've said this those "a posteriori" people will be disinclined to post.

That was pretty cool.

Was the preset designed to sound as close to C as you could get it? And what was the corner freq for the low shelf?

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and glad I was... but "C" would of been my second guess though... :D

FWIW - I voted "C" early this morning, but didn't have time to post .... I did "like" everyone else that voted the same way I did, does that count ? :pride:

I did choose "C" (honest I did!) but it was a toss up for me between B & C. "A" actually sounded the best to me but it was louder and had a bit more mid thunk to it so I thought it may very well be the Axe-II.

They all sounded very real and organic.

I would have voted B or C simply because A sounded much better than the others and therefore the one we are 'supposed' to think is the real amp.

That's me, always trying to be a clever bastard, rarely succeeding :roll

I can't tell...and if i can't tell then at this point it's academic...the Axe has gotten so close it's becoming pointless to compare. My sense is that as the IRs get better and better, any noticeable difference between the Axe and real amps will disappear altogether.

i voted C before i checked for the answer. Us fractal users should be honest here. Its for our own good. The only reason I picked C wasn't really based on which sounded best. It seemed the most bassy of the 3. Figured less eqing or what not. I'm shocked I guessed right too.

I voted C because I heard some some pick attack dynamics I didn't hear in the others. I was listening through laptop speakers, so that doesn't mean much.

Since I liked A a lot, you've got me wanting to try a low shelf filter before the amp block now. Any tips on a good setting to start with?

BTW, I love these posts. It seems like these days nothing sounds "bad" any more. It's all just variations of "good." Now it's just a matter of personal taste and what sound it is you are going for, and this box has endless options. Awesome!

"It's A man! A is the real amp! Less digital and harsh sounding. C is obviously the modeler because it's all digital sounding."

"Actually, c is the amp."

"... Oh yeah, now totally hear it. C is much more organic - A has that fake sound. Obviously..."

I've had that discussion and response many times over the years :)

Back
Top Bottom