Which is the best power amp for AX8?

Drisesk

Hi guys! i have a question, i want sell my amp gear for buy a power amp for my ax8 and a new 4x12 cab.
I see more and more power amp, i love the mesa amp, and for this i think so the best power amp for me its the 2:90 with a 4x12 recto cab.
I play a lot of metal...if you have an idea or advice for me, write me something!!

Thanksss a lot!!!
Dk

If you are only going to use Mesa amp sims that will be a good call. Most will probably recommend a flat amp like the matrix so you can run with power sims on though

If you are only going to use Mesa amp sims that will be a good call. Most will probably recommend a flat amp like the matrix so you can run with power sims on though
Yep. The Mesa power amps are definitely not neutral... I used to run a 50:50 and while I dug it I found a Matrix to be much better suited for all-around tones instead of just Mesa (which I don't really use that often). And I was running it into a V30 cab which again had it's own coloration - great for what it did, but trying to run say the Doubleverb into a Mesa power amp and V30 was definitely not authentic. On the other hand, the Rectos sounded killer that way.

But since you play a lot of metal, you may find the 2:90 > recto cab to be perfect for what you want. Try it out and see!

Yep. The Mesa power amps are definitely not neutral... I used to run a 50:50 and while I dug it I found a Matrix to be much better suited for all-around tones instead of just Mesa (which I don't really use that often). And I was running it into a V30 cab which again had it's own coloration - great for what it did, but trying to run say the Doubleverb into a Mesa power amp and V30 was definitely not authentic. On the other hand, the Rectos sounded killer that way.

But since you play a lot of metal, you may find the 2:90 > recto cab to be perfect for what you want. Try it out and see!

Thx at all for your answer!!! so, the perfectly way is to use a matrix power amp, for have a neutral sound!? There is many models of it, can you advice me which is the best power amp models?!
So i love the mesa sound, many years ago i had a mesa boogie dual rectifier and it was the best amp for me, bus if you tell me so its no neutral power amp...i choose a different models of it!

Matrix is one of the choices, which many on here use. But the Fryette is excellent, the SD170 is getting good reviews, and there are others as well. Search some of the threads here on the forum and you'll find many reviews...

Someone can tell me more about the Seymour duncan power amp?!?!? i
I use the seymour duncan powerstage 170 and it's great. It's got plenty of headroom, at about 50% volume it keeps up with my drummer and he's really loud. It is easy to dial it into different cabinets you might need to hook into (they are all different to my ears) just by tweaking the 3 eq knobs to taste. I think it is an amazing bit of gear, so compact, very clear sounding and a perfect match for my AX8. I'm loving not having to lug a head around anymore and it doesn't color my tone much at all with different volumes. I actually don't know how loud it goes, I always play it through 4x12's (normally my ENGL with V30's) and I haven't had it past about 55%. It never gets hot. It really is a beast in a little box.

Matrix is one of the choices, which many on here use. But the Fryette is excellent, the SD170 is getting good reviews, and there are others as well. Search some of the threads here on the forum and you'll find many reviews...
Thx!!! a lot for your advices!!! i try to find the fryette and the sd700 in a shop near to me!!

I use the seymour duncan powerstage 170 and it's great. It's got plenty of headroom, at about 50% volume it keeps up with my drummer and he's really loud. It is easy to dial it into different cabinets you might need to hook into (they are all different to my ears) just by tweaking the 3 eq knobs to taste. I think it is an amazing bit of gear, so compact, very clear sounding and a perfect match for my AX8. I'm loving not having to lug a head around anymore and it doesn't color my tone much at all with different volumes. I actually don't know how loud it goes, I always play it through 4x12's (normally my ENGL with V30's) and I haven't had it past about 55%. It never gets hot. It really is a beast in a little box.

I have see ther SD700 power stage on youtube...i think so i have try it!!! Thxx for your answer!!

So for the sake of clarity, the routing are: fractal ax8--power amp---cab 4x12

Right??? i need nothing else?!??!

So for the sake of clarity, the routing are: fractal ax8--power amp---cab 4x12

Right??? i need nothing else?!??!
You'll need cables to connect them all together. Speaker cables for the power amp-to-cab connection(s).

Back
Top Bottom