Which is better for outdoor shows without PA? FRFR or Cab?

We are having a show pretty soon in an outdoor festival. Problem is, there's no FOH. just for vocals. Which one is better axefx with 2 qsc k12 or a regular head and cab?

The PA speakers should have better dispersion as most guitar cabs can be pretty directional, but honestly, outdoors is tough. Amp's that used to sound rip your head off loud indoors sure don't sound the same outside

My bass player told me the other way around. Guitar cabs resonate more outdoors and Speakers are directional. We never tried anything yet but considering there's no FOH but for vocals only, which will sound best?

My bass player told me the other way around. Guitar cabs resonate more outdoors and Speakers are directional. We never tried anything yet but considering there's no FOH but for vocals only, which will sound best?

Both bass & guitar rigs can sound weaker, smaller, softer outside but bass is probably more affected. About the only exception is my Acoustic 360. That thing kills outdoors!

I think it will drown the vocals if guitars and bass are on the same mix. Im not overthinkin this coz i know 2 qsc k12 will sound good with the axe fx indoors or outdoors even if im not plug in to the PA.

I think it will drown the vocals if guitars and bass are on the same mix.
but isn't that how all concerts are? all the instruments AND vocals go through the main speakers so the audience can hear them?

Im not overthinkin this coz i know 2 qsc k12 will sound good with the axe fx indoors or outdoors even if im not plug in to the PA.
i guess that's the answer then?

i must be really confused. sorry.

We always use backline & FOH mix no matter the place and the size of a PA. It's much easier to get the whole band sound balanced, keep volumes at tolerable level and hear yourself on stage. And when considering outdoors, this is even more important as individual sound sources dents to be directional (no reflections). AXE & QSCs have a lot of choices to make an appropriate setup (backline, monitor, FOH) depending on stereo/mono approach. QSCs have line level direct outputs for daisy-chaining etc...

If your using the K12's as a Backline and not as a personal monitor, then I don't see the difference. I'd think it would come down more to how you have your sound and presets set up. Are you dialed in for FRFR or for Amp+ Cab? Either way your talking about 2 x 12" speakers moving the air, so they should be in the ballpark as far as projection and volume, but I would think the K12's would have a wider dispersion pattern than a guitar cab. I'd go with those if it was me.

Thanks for all the insights. Really want to go FRFR with my axe no matter what coz i know it will sound good. There's just this thing awhile ago about " cabs resonate more so its better for outdoors without plugging in to the PA and qscs are directional so it's bad "

Well in thinking about that statement a bit... at first look I'd say that is incorrect. I don't know much about the dispersion of a K12. I don't use them. It is true that many monitors are pretty narrow by design. After all, their purpose is personal monitoring. But a K12 is a PA top... that can be used as a monitor. To me that is different. Again... I have no K12 experience. I use CLR's and I can tell you those things do a pretty amazing job of spreading sound around. I'd choose those over a 2x12 guitar cab any day. From what I know of K12's they are pretty great, and I'd think they would be the way to go. Anyway... my 1.8 cents.

but isn't that how all concerts are? all the instruments AND vocals go through the main speakers so the audience can hear them?

+100 Chris is correct........ definitely add guitar to FOH mix.

If the Sound guy is any good you should be able to run the whole band through a pair of SP2's with a CS 800, and sound killer.:encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom