Which is better for Axe-Fx III - MFC-101 mark 1 or FCB1010?

Fatjac

Inspired
Ok, I have had to wait whilst saving my pennies but I’m nearly there and I’m about to sell my Axe FX II to fund the balance of the purchase price of a III. My question is this...I also have a MFC101 mark I as well as an FCB1010 so should I sell the MFC with the Axe FX? I won’t be able to afford one of the new controllers initially so I’ll need to use one or the other with the III. I’ll be keeping the FCB 1010 regardless as it’s a useful workhorse for other things too. So which controller will work best with the III in the interim period?

Thanks. I appreciate that you can use the FCB1010 but my question is which unit will be best please? The FCB or the MFC?

Wit the Axe-FX III, the FCB1010 (becaue the MFC doesn't add much added value with the III). I would recommend that you try to sell the MFC together with the Axe-FX II

Perhaps a more on-topic title like “Which is better for Axe-Fx III - MFC or FCB?” might attract better answers.

Thanks for the tip Chris. You are probably correct but how do I change the thread title now?

Last edited:
I think "best" is dependent on how YOU want to use it.

What things do you typically use your midi controller for?

Also, I think the MFC is much easier to configure than the FCB, especially if you own MFC-EDIT.

And is your FCB "stock" or does it have an aftermarket chip?

I, too, am on the fence about buying one of the new FCs. I simply have everything I already need and *most of the control I could possibly want with the FCB1010 (not to mention TWO expression pedals). I'm most attracted to the label LCDs, the one cable operation, and the on-board tuner display. I'm just not sure it's going to be cost effective for me.

But yes, the FCB1010 works wonderfully with the Axe III. The ONLY thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to change presets seemlessly between the Axe's internal banks, like, say from preset 202 to 001 which goes from bank 1 to bank 0 (or bank 2 to 1, depending on how you want to call it). It's possible, but for some reason it requires two pedal presses. In any case, that's a small niggle and I'm not too concerned - if I'm using more than 128 presets then I'm spending more time creating presets than I am creating music lol!

I, too, am on the fence about buying one of the new FCs. I simply have everything I already need and *most of the control I could possibly want with the FCB1010 (not to mention TWO expression pedals). I'm most attracted to the label LCDs, the one cable operation, and the on-board tuner display. I'm just not sure it's going to be cost effective for me.

But yes, the FCB1010 works wonderfully with the Axe III. The ONLY thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to change presets seemlessly between the Axe's internal banks, like, say from preset 202 to 001 which goes from bank 1 to bank 0 (or bank 2 to 1, depending on how you want to call it). It's possible, but for some reason it requires two pedal presses. In any case, that's a small niggle and I'm not too concerned - if I'm using more than 128 presets then I'm spending more time creating presets than I am creating music lol!

Hi, did you ever figure this out? I have spent the last two days trying to program the FCB100 with UNO chip to control the AXE FX3. I haven't had a chance before now although I have had the 3 for a couple of months.

I have hit exactly the same problem inasmuch as 2 presses of a foot pedal are required to change to a preset in a new bank The same is required in reverse. Do you think that it is a glitch in the Axe or a quirk with the FCB1010? There is something in the UNO software where you are allowed to select TOGGLE mode which sends the 2 CC msgs in sequence with each sequential press BUT the output midi shown with the editor shows it as all going out with just the one press. So I cannot determine if it is the Axe or the FCB...

I would be very interested to hear if you figured this out & also whether you still use the FCB or have elected to use anything else.

Cheers

I answered your PM, but I'll reply here, too.

No, there still isn't a way to change banks and presets with one tap. It's a not a quirk of the FCB since it's sending the correct info. It's a glitch with the Axe that probably will never be sorted, I'm afraid.

Really all this means is that you should keep all your most used presets on the same bank. Move them around - do what you need to do.

Yes thanks for the pm. Good idea to say the same thing here as well. It may help others.

I don't understand why the Axe can't deal with this midi signal & why it needs two presses of a pedal. It must be able to do it from other midi controllers?

It's an FCB limitation, not an Axe-FX glitch. FCB sends the PC before any CCs. A device can't know to select from a new bank before the new CC#0 value is received. Controllers with "real" bank select are sending CC#0 before the PC.

One option with the FCB is to make a few presets send only CC#0, then use the rest for PCs (no CC#0). You'd probably still want to organize presets to avoid changing banks, but you're not strictly limited to 100 presets then.

I have an MFC-101 Mk III and also an FCB-1010 (those things go for way too little money on ebay, there's no reason not to have one!) but I have not yet gotten around to adding the 1010 to my setup. I really just want to use the expression pedals in it for gain and volume. (Not wah...honestly wah is my least favorite effect of all.) I've got to spend a little time digging in the manual to figure out how to program it to do that.

Back
Top Bottom