Which input for wireless conection?

s0c9

For those of you using wireless (just received my L6 G90) where the output is on the rear of the unit, are you going into INSTR (front of II) or INPUT1 (rear).

I have a bit of a wiring challenge if I go into INSTR - due to both units being a (3-unit) rack.. so not much space between wireless unit and AxeII to thread that cable.

Any impact to sound going INPUT1 vs INSTR ??

thanks..

For those of you using wireless (just received my L6 G90) where the output is on the rear of the unit, are you going into INSTR (front of II) or INPUT1 (rear).

I have a bit of a wiring challenge if I go into INSTR - due to both units being a (3-unit) rack.. so not much space between wireless unit and AxeII to thread that cable.

Any impact to sound going INPUT1 vs INSTR ??

thanks..

I have been wondering this too. I'm planning on eventually getting the same wireless unit you have and I only have 1u space left in my rack so there would be no room to run the wire to the front. I suppose I could run the wire around the rack into the front but it would be kind of a pain. Is there really that big of a difference between the front and back inputs? What exactly is in this "special sauce?"

I have been wondering this too. I'm planning on eventually getting the same wireless unit you have and I only have 1u space left in my rack so there would be no room to run the wire to the front. I suppose I could run the wire around the rack into the front but it would be kind of a pain. Is there really that big of a difference between the front and back inputs? What exactly is in this "special sauce?"

I don' know what the "special sauce " is :) but it makes a huge difference to me..I use the L6 G-50 in the Instr front too, for the best sound.

I'm not sure there's "special source" on the Axe-II. I thought the various inputs had been "normalized" to allow the II to operate at unity gain across all of inputs..?

So, I tried hooking it up to front input... turns out that there's enough space at top of the rack to thread a 1/4" cable over the top and down into the INSTR input - as long as you thread it before mounting the G90 in the rack :)

BTW - sounds just like wired.. dynamics and all. Will give it a shake-out at rehearsal tonight and report back.

Last edited:
I use a george L cable as they are much thinner than a standard cable while retaining the sound quality and can squeeze in my three rack.

G90 ... consider getting XD-70L 1/2" rack instead

For those who haven't purchased the G90 yet... consider saving a tiny bit of money and getting the Line6 XD-V70L (It's the half rack lavalier mic unit). Buy one of the Sure WA-304 cable for about $20 and plug it into the XD70 transmitter (TBP12) which is IDENTICAL to the one on the G90. Everything is compatible. The tradeoffs include:

1. No guitar cable simulation that's available on the G90 - I didn't care about this. If I ever needed it, I'd just do that inside of the Axe.
2. The G90 has a standard power cable while the XD70 has a smaller circular connector to a smallish 2 prong plug. I was a tad worried about this but the back of the XD70 has a power cable guard and the cable itself is fairly thing making it easier to coil up and stow.
3. Front mounting the antennas requires a full 1U with include plate. This may be important to some since the XD70 is about 9" deep so rear mounting your antennas will probably means that they will be more horizontal than vertical. I have my rack on its end so it's not a big deal for me. The plate used for the other half of the 1U could easily be drilled to pass an audio cable.

The benefits include:

1. Half rack
2. Free Lav mic!
3. 100% combatibility with the G50, G90, XD70 (not G30). Line 6 has stated on their forum that this is the case.
4. Still has the 300ft range

I use my guitar with the XD70 plugged into the front of my Ultra. I will be doing the same with the II.

Also, for just $200, 100ft range, 16-bit 48KHz digital, you might want to try the Jangus Wi AudioLink. The transmitter and receiver are very small. I haven't tried it yet but will in a few weeks.

please pardon me, a total caveman here, been wondering about this for the longest time.
how about the sennheiser wireless unit with the AES out going to the axefx' AES in?
bypassing one step of conversion. i know a lot will just comment with "why dont you just try it?"
unfortunately here in my country, one has to order the sennheiser wireless unit first in order to test it

Back
Top Bottom