Which in-ear transmitter/receiver do you use?

Smittefar

Axe-Master
I think we have some great options for running our guitars wirelessly (Shure GLXD and Line 6 Relay), but as long as there is nothing similar for in-ears, I cannot use it.

Don't get me wrong, there are great wireless in-ear solutions out there, but a decent one is >€1000, and it still using the UHF bands that get changed every so often (at least here in EU). I cannot shell out >1000 bucks for something that may become illegal within a few years.

Both L6 Relay and GLXD use the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, which I am pretty sure will be available for many years to come - But no pro in-ear systems use these - Why is that? Am I missing some?

The only option, I have been able to find is these http://www.widigitalsystems.com/ - But this looks almost too cheap. They write that there is no 'noticeable' delay, but no specifik latency is stated anywhere, so I am a bit suspicious.

What do you do?

What do you recommend?

I use Sennheiser EW300 yes UHF, but those are controlled bands and have only recently been "re-organised" throughout Europe... And that was a BIG HASSLE... for the industry... I would think the "non license bands" (including WiFi) would be a serious reason NOT to use in any "pro" band, the controls by the regulators aren't perfect, but they are able (have rights) to close down unapproved users.

Nothing as of yet, all touring bands are using UHF, same as us... so I'm not sure what the issue is, or possibility of them changing bands, there is always a possibility of anything. They are getting ready to do it again here in the states. I'm not sure why there are really no digital solutions out there, must be some kind of cost issue or something. I'm sure there are crazy priced digital units out there, but us mere mortals will not be able to afford.

I hear the rumours of a new change in frequencies here in Europe as well.

The Sennheiser EW300 would be on my shortlist, but at least here in DK, it is twice as expensive as L6 G70 - And that is just too much, if you ask me :)

Sennheiser iem300 G2 here. If you're worried about the frequencies, try and find out which channels/bands you'll be able to use in the future.

When I purchased mine I lucked out. The changes here in the Netherlands were basically a switch to the US frequencies/bands. Found a used unit on eBay for a good price, and it serves me well to this day.

Besides, the transmitting power is very small. I don't expect problems during an occasional weekend gig in a bar/club or whatever else. At bigger shows, if there would be a possible problem in relation to the system that the venue itself is using, I use one of their systems. (It helps a lot, checking with the venue/techs beforehand.)

@Japster - Cool - I have had an LD systems at one point, I did not love, but I did not hate it either - The price is OK - It got stolen.

PSM200s also look cool - I guess they are within a reasonable budget for me

psm200s have worked well for us and grabbed most of them off eBay over last couple years... We run 4 transmitters/5 receivers in a cover band

Our band has used €350 Beyerdynamic Opus 300 units for wireless guitar/bass for a few years (400+ gigs).
They sound great & have never missed a note at up to 20 meters indoors.
I recently got MiPro MI 808 @ €500 for IEM's (good spec, also made by Beyerdynamic) and so far they've performed flawlessly.
A nice bonus is that both half-rack units can be joined by common connector plate to occupy one 1U rack space.
No vested interest other than sharing positive experiences, check 'em out...

http://ineargear.com/wireless/mipro808tr.html
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mipro-808
http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/mipro-mi-808-wireless-in-ear-monitor-system/47741/

I think the Psm200s are discontinued from shure. But I think the psm300s are comparable in features and price and available and supported at the moment.

My local dealer still has PSM200 in stock, and it is fairly cheap, so I might go that way. Right now the MiPro unit looks very interesting though, and I even managed to find a DK dealer.

Ew300. Very happy and the receiver is so well built.

Regardless of the quality or transmission frequency the ear buds are critical. Custom moulds with dual or more armatures make such a difference both in sound and comfort. So that is another significant cost to factor in.
My band have recently moved to iem only and two of them are using cheap buds and won't pay the money. This is what they are using to hear everything. They happily spend serious cash on cabs yet can't see the logic in getting good buds. We have done away with backline.

The other major consideration on that note is that those of us who are not....ahem....as young as we once were need to look after our hearing. Tinnitus is a big worry and just horrible if you suffer as our other guitar player does. Ask Pete Townshend.

I use cabled in-ear already. Good ear-buds are important, and I love the fact that I can do an entire gig without thrashing my ears

Back
Top Bottom