which IEMs.... JH13v2, UE18, JH10x3, UE7 ???

keeflb

Hello
I have to decide which one to get between those 4 models, JH13v2 UE18 JH10x3 UE7

Please, Tell me if you had any experience with those IEMs

Thank you

Why limit it to JH and UE?
Check out 1964 Ears... I have used them for some time now.. .Qi's for 2+ yrs and A8's for the last couple of months,.
Excellent IEM's !!

I will check them out! what about the difference between 3 and 6 drivers?
They V series was mostly discontinued a few months ago. The singer and other guitarist in my band both got the V3 and the drummer got the Qi. They like them, but they are also not tone snobs like me. They are custom molds so I can not really compare.

The A series are more expensive than the V...

The 1964 adel thing-a-ma-bobby has my interest peaked, but it's pretty pricey. although they just added a 499 version. I've only had single drivers then up to a triple driver, nothing above that so i cant say, but the one to three was a drastic change. i'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns like anything.

Well, I went from single (UM-1, SE215) to 4 (Qi's) then to 8 (A8's).
There a Y_U_U_U_G_E diff between the singles and quads (never tried triples).
The diff between the 4's and the 8's is subtle... the ADEL tech is most of it.. there being that ambient "noise" due to the equalizing diaphragm in the ADEL unit. If I put my fingers on the ADEL "tube" I can make them "seal" like the Qi's do.. then the are very similar.
The big difference with the A8's is the lack of ear fatigue, and that with 4 LF BA's there sub-bass can be present and obvious.. something lacking in models with fewer drivers. The overall response is very flat with a large sound stage and great frequency separation.. very smooth.
I DID have to boost the low end (when playing bass) in the A8's more than the Qi's - but again, I chalk this up to the ADEL tech in the A8's.
I could live happily with either... tho' from all reports there are some GREAT triple-driver buds out there..

My advice is to go with 3-drivers at a minimum... if you play bass, I also advise custom-molds as without the seal, you'll lose a large amount of LF in your ears... If you love the amp-in-the-room pant flapping.. IEM's may not be for you..
YMMV

@s0c9, is the isolation in the 64s sufficient. I usually get stuck right next to the drummer
That's where I play mostly - bass or guitar - and yes.. they keep the ringing cymbals out. I also keep IEM volumes real low in my ears and DO NOT try to make the mix sound like a CD on a stereo system. I have found that induces ear fatigue far faster.. to much info to process!

I'm playing live.. so I put into the mix what I need to hear to do my job.
For example - We have 3 vox.. lead and dual backing.
I center lead vox and I, and pan the other baking vocals to about 11 am (as that's the side of the stage he's on), enough to hear but not enough to throw me off :)
I also pan dual guitars left and right - based on where they are on stage.
Kick and snare in the mix.. no overheads or toms as I don't need them, and can always move closer to the kit, should I want to hear them.
That's me..
YMMV

Thanks, I probably should do more panning for my inear mix.

I will try to get some 64s, although they are a bit difficult to obtain here in Denmark

That's where I play mostly - bass or guitar - and yes.. they keep the ringing cymbals out. I also keep IEM volumes real low in my ears and DO NOT try to make the mix sound like a CD on a stereo system. I have found that induces ear fatigue far faster.. to much info to process!

I'm playing live.. so I put into the mix what I need to hear to do my job.
For example - We have 3 vox.. lead and dual backing.
I center lead vox and I, and pan the other baking vocals to about 11 am (as that's the side of the stage he's on), enough to hear but not enough to throw me off :)
I also pan dual guitars left and right - based on where they are on stage.
Kick and snare in the mix.. no overheads or toms as I don't need them, and can always move closer to the kit, should I want to hear them.
That's me..
YMMV

I take the same approach. I go for as few sources as possible in my in ears (the same for a wedge mix too).

Our lead singer insists on a whole band mix in his vocal wedge, everything, bass, full drum kit, etc. He can't understand why it all washes out during the show. We have a back line bass amp and a loud drummer. With wedges especially, there is no need for those in the monitor mix.

Well, I went from single (UM-1, SE215) to 4 (Qi's) then to 8 (A8's).
There a Y_U_U_U_G_E diff between the singles and quads (never tried triples).
The diff between the 4's and the 8's is subtle... the ADEL tech is most of it.. there being that ambient "noise" due to the equalizing diaphragm in the ADEL unit. If I put my fingers on the ADEL "tube" I can make them "seal" like the Qi's do.. then the are very similar.
The big difference with the A8's is the lack of ear fatigue, and that with 4 LF BA's there sub-bass can be present and obvious.. something lacking in models with fewer drivers. The overall response is very flat with a large sound stage and great frequency separation.. very smooth.
I DID have to boost the low end (when playing bass) in the A8's more than the Qi's - but again, I chalk this up to the ADEL tech in the A8's.
I could live happily with either... tho' from all reports there are some GREAT triple-driver buds out there..

My advice is to go with 3-drivers at a minimum... if you play bass, I also advise custom-molds as without the seal, you'll lose a large amount of LF in your ears... If you love the amp-in-the-room pant flapping.. IEM's may not be for you..
YMMV

I've been looking closely at getting either A5's or A10's with custom molds. Would you say the 'ambient' aspects of the ADEL series is a benefit or a distraction?

My main use would be for live playing, but I'd also like quality high enough to mix with (more because I'm anal about the sound, not so much because I'd actually do any real mixing).

Also, which would you suggest for the most "true" sound... honest replication I mean? Price & general assumption, A10>A5, but the A5 stated EQ on the '64 site actually looks flatter. Is the A10 (and other models') enhancement actually due to proximity, thus giving a truer sound without actually being flatter response?

Why would you get A5/A10? They are neither recommended for guitar nor bass players. I would suggest A3s or A6s.

I've been looking closely at getting either A5's or A10's with custom molds. Would you say the 'ambient' aspects of the ADEL series is a benefit or a distraction?

My main use would be for live playing, but I'd also like quality high enough to mix with (more because I'm anal about the sound, not so much because I'd actually do any real mixing).

Also, which would you suggest for the most "true" sound... honest replication I mean? Price & general assumption, A10>A5, but the A5 stated EQ on the '64 site actually looks flatter. Is the A10 (and other models') enhancement actually due to proximity, thus giving a truer sound without actually being flatter response?
The ADEL's are definitely NOT a distraction.. but they DO provide a more "ambient" aspect to what you hear versus the "sealed" V-series. For me - being used to sealed with the Qi's for 2+ yrs - it took a while for me to get used to the extra space that the diaphragm added.
Some on headfi.org will say that various models are bass heavy or not enough bass, too much mids, shrill highs... etc. I'm no audiophile.. and believe a lot of "feedback" there is pure background noise (static!). I can live happily with either the Qi's or the A8's. The A8's DO have more LF drivers so I tend to get more sub-bass than with the Qi's, but it's not overpowering or annoying. Works great for playing bass and there's no issues for me with either model on guitar.

Why would you get A5/A10? They are neither recommended for guitar nor bass players. I would suggest A3s or A6s.
I would agree with this... Contact 1964 and get their opinion on which model... My band IS/ARE 1964 Endorsing Artists, but you should get the ones best suited to your needs. I upgraded form Qi's to A8's because I could.
Our singer went with the A12's and loves them - but he came from SE215's and Senn 4I's... I honestly believe he would have been happy with A6's...

You cannot go wrong with JH. Their new series are even more crazy. The Layla and I forget the other name but all though are huge money. I use UE900s. The are 4 driver generic IEM and I love them. I bet UE custom molds are nice too.. 64's are kind of the "in" brand right now

Back
Top Bottom