Which hole for DI FOH?

Galen Cane

Inspired
Playing a well equipped venue on Saturday with a decent system and good crew so thought I'd try going out to FOH rather than having the sound guys mic up the front of the Matrix FR212.

Which output should I run to the stage DI?

Sorry for the dumbness of this question, I'm sure the answer is on here, in the manual and elsewhere but I just need a quick and dirty reply from someone who does this already ;-)

are you only running to FOH and nothing else? if so, output 1. set the output 1 knob on the front panel to about 10 o' clock for starters; that should be plenty of signal for them. in fact, let them know you might be a very hot signal.

if you are also running your matrix, what output are you using for that?

read my article for other ways to do this: How do I send my Axe signal to FOH and on-stage full-range monitors? | AxeFxTutorials.com

axe-fx-ii-rear-460-80.jpg

I use these two 1/4 Jacks to the Matrix Amp. Was hoping I could just run a lead from one of the other outs on the back to the stage DI

Or change the 1/4 to output 2 and give the sound man XLRs from the output 1 and you have independent volume controls on the front of the AXE-FX

Aren't the XLR outs on the Axe line level and don't most boards expect their XLR inputs to be mic level and their 1/4" inputs to be line level?

Also, some boards will put phantom power on their XLR inputs which is fine for most mics but probably not so fine for the AXE.

I've avoided sending XLR to FOH for these reasons even though I run the risk of picking up more noise with the 1/4 to FOH.

Thoughts?

though I run the risk of picking up more noise with the 1/4 to FOH.

Why is that? How long is your 1/4" cable?

Regarding the OP, he confirmed that he uses the 1/4" output of Out 1 to his Matrix and additionally wants to send a duplicate signal to the PA system. The article I linked to shows exactly what to do. But it is as easy as sending the XLR output to the PA. Please read my article for more detail.

I give them the XLR output-1, set output-1 to around 10:00 and let them bitch that the signal is too hot, then turn it down to about 9:30...LOL

You don't use the effects loop for anything? Turn on output echo as Chris's tut says and plug the Matrix into output 2. You can then control the Matrix's volume from the front panel without mucking up the FOH level.
Been doing that since the Ultra days.

If I may piggyback a question onto this thread...
I need to use a single mono 1/4" output tomorrow night for FOH. I will have no other connections from the AxeFX apart from this (I'll be getting my IEM feed from FOH).
Just to make sure I've read up on this correctly; should I use "output #1 unbalanced left" for this with a 'half-stereo' output setting (to be safe - I've no ping-pongs etc going on)?
Thanks

Just back from sound check.

Ran an XLR from the Axe-FX direct into the desk, using the Matrix on the stage as an air moving monitor.

I sound fucking huge!!!

Back
Top Bottom