Which headphones do you use to save peace at home?

Beyer 880 Pro's for me too, but as someone who was relegated to strictly headphones for far too long, let me tell you that's no way to live.

Blue Mofi - but don't dare put it in powered mode because it will blow your ears off.

Well, not really, but it gets pretty friggin loud in powered mode, so I've always used it in passive mode. Really great headphones though, IMO. No ear fatigue, no pressure points after having them on for a while.

If you're using the 250ohm DT-770's then they are going to be too quiet running out of anything other than a decent headphone amp/mixing console. Try the 80ohm model if you're running them straight out the axe headphone socket.

I love my Sennheiser HD 598s. They sound great and they're very comfortable. I can wear them all day and not get fatigued.

I would not recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I know they're very popular, but I had a pair and they were only comfortable to wear for about an hour. Then my ears would get all sweaty and the pressure from the clamp would just be too much. I tried stretching the headband overnight several times to see if I could make the clamping less intense, but it just didn't work out. They also have harsh sibilance around 9.9 kHz that I had to EQ out.

Go to a reputable store that has a nice wall of headphones to listen and ensure they're comfortable. I purchased the Blue Mofi online and really wanted to love them however after 2 weeks I sent them back. They just were not comfortable for my head and found the sound to be particularly bottom heavy.

Best of luck.

as someone who was relegated to strictly headphones for far too long, let me tell you that's no way to live.

Agreed. So far for me no end in sight. So Beyerdynamic DT990's for now. Coupled with Sonarworks headphone calibration vst.

Had to move, and right now I'm in a place that is... awful for my music. :(

I'll have to try the Blue pair. Thanks for the tip.

Recommend closed back for your purposes.

Currently I have:
Beyerdynamic DT 770's when tracking vocals
AKG 553's on the e-kit
AT M50x's for general listening

Usually running out of the Focusrite Saffire.

If you're using the 250ohm DT-770's then they are going to be too quiet running out of anything other than a decent headphone amp/mixing console. Try the 80ohm model if you're running them straight out the axe headphone socket.
Thank you, that's the point, for me, the DT-770 with 250 ohm sounds too quite and weak. Do you know the impedance of the headphone socket of the AXE?

Thank you all for so many answers and opinions. I'll continue to play most of the time loud over my Matrix Q12a, but for the occasional late hour I need to use headphones. I ordered now the blue Mofi and will test them, maybe the Beyer DT 880 too. Who knows, which impedance is best for the AXE headphones output, better 80 or 600 ohms.

Thank you all for so many answers and opinions. I'll continue to play most of the time loud over my Matrix Q12a, but for the occasional late hour I need to use headphones. I ordered now the blue Mofi and will test them, maybe the Beyer DT 880 too. Who knows, which impedance is best for the AXE headphones output, better 80 or 600 ohms.

For plugging straight in to the axe, and if you like it loud you want a lower impedance so to answer your question you'll want 80ohms rather than 600ohms if your 250's are too quiet. Bayerdymanic also have a 32ohm model designed more for the output of mobile devices and smart phones but I'd probably go for the 80ohm model for plugging into the axe. I use 250's in the studio so I can drive them hard with a headphone amp for performers without damaging the speakers. You wouldn't normally get headphones with an impedance this high unless it was for studio use I don't think....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom