Which hardware pedal did you keep since getting your Axe-Fx III and why?

Sold everything except a Tube screamer I handbuilt (I'd sell it if anyone would buy it) and a Boss DS-1, for sentimental value. It was my first guitar pedal.

I'll occasionally be gifted, given or buy a pedal. Once I figure out how to get the AxeFX to do it, it usually ends up on reverb at some point.

My modded TS-808. I may never use it again now that I have an Ax but if I could use only one amp and one pedal in front of any amp, it would be my TS-808. Nothing produces a better, creamier, luscious, overdrive tone.

I was tempted to keep my old Neuenaber Immerse pedal, probably should've - for nostalgia.

To be fair that W3T is still really good. I was tempted too, but instead I opted to buy their W3T VST and add it on in production. Sounds just as good, and has more tweakable parameters! 👌

As for me I've kept only the FreqOut. Was tempted to keep my Drolo Twin Peaks (harmonoc tremolo), but I made a comparable preset on the AxeFX using a crossover block.

Not keep, but bought - Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra V2 - it will be connected to FX III and single unit in some rock projects, where I will not need full rack. B7K in Fractal is great, but Alpha Omega is different and has cabinet simulation possibility and DI.

Foargot to mention - it is all about bass...

Sold most after my first Ultra. Then bought most and more back since going through the II and now III.
Still love pedals. Still love my Axe. I can live happily with both.

Are you Geddy Lee?

There is something more fun than playing bass notes that can be do with the pedals. There are programs like Cthulhu or Chordz that can play complex chords. Not necessarily ordered like C-D-E-F-G-A-B, but with complex harmonic progressions and arpeggios. Some even have Bass&Drums

There are packs of harmonic progressions that go from R&B to Bach and Chopin. You can play a whole piece just by pressing the pedals in ascending order. It is endless fun, and a very interesting tool for learning harmony and improvisation.

Last edited:
There is something more fun than playing bass notes that can be do with the pedals. There are programs like Cthulhu or Chordz that can play complex chords. Not necessarily ordered like C-D-E-F-G-A-B, but with complex harmonic progressions and arpeggios. Some even have Bass&Drums

There are packs of harmonic progressions that go from R&B to Bach and Chopin. You can play a whole piece just by pressing the pedals in ascending order. It is endless fun, and a very interesting tool for learning harmony and improvisation.

You still didn't say whether you are Geddy Lee. ;-)

@Piing love those midi bass pedals. I used to own a set of Roland PK5A pedals like that which were fun to trigger a bass synth with live.

I once saw a video of a Prog Rock band where the bassist played a solo beating the bass-pedal with his fists :D
I've spent a while searching to watch it again, but cannot find it. The pedal format was small, similar to the Keith McMillen 12 Steps. But I think that it was not black, so it may be another model.

BTW, a while ago I started to build my own MIDI bass pedal with Arduino. I designed modular pedals with a 3D printer, but I abandoned the project when I found that cheap second hand KORK MPK-130

DIY MIDI Bass Pedalpng.png

I did not finish printing all the pedal keys, but I did complete the prototype, using electrical switches as keys. Here is a test video
The cost of the components for this keyboard was $16 only

Here are more details of the project
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2277033

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom