Which hardware pedal did you keep since getting your Axe-Fx III and why?

normanaj

Inspired
Just curious to know which hardware pedals you kept since getting your AxeFX3.
I kept (recently purchased) my SD 805 and DT Drop. Simply because I just adore the sound of the 805 with the AxeFX and the Drop to me feels/sounds better but perhaps more because I have a rack unit and when I go to jam sessions I prefer not to lug the rack unit around. When I get my FX3 I would probably still keep the 805 and Drop but I wouldn't GAS over others. Examples. Boonar, H9, BigSky.

I’ve got a bunch of Spaceman boxes I keep, an Octave Fuzz, Ge Fuzz, Ge Harmonic Boost, a regular Boost, a killer Optical Phaser, that I just can’t get the wetness for lack of a better descriptor. And then I have the Handwired version of the Mad Professor Honey Drive & Forest Green Comp.
I wouldn’t say I use them a whole lot, but I’m not gigging at the moment so to just leave them hooked up isn’t hurting anything and isn’t any kind of a pain in the ass to move around. If I was gigging I doubt I’d bother to even bring the pedal board. They are all great pedals though, and most will probably only increase in value so I’ll hold on to them.

I have a few that I use along with my AF3, although it's really just kind of a preference and luxury thing- I could get by without them just fine, but I have the room on the board, and they're nice to have, so why not? I have a Blackstone overdrive, which I adore and there isn't really anything in the axe that is quite the same, a Klon KTR, because I've come to accept that it won't be modeled (yes, I know there are blocks out there where skilled users have emulated it), a Mimiq running in the loop, and a Digitech FreqOut.

I've bought a FreqOut, sold it, and bought it again. I don't gig with it, I may use it for recording though - so much easier to just stay in the box live.

I switched to Axe Fx II in 2013... 6 months later I sold my entire "B" rig.

I also boxed up my "A" rig.

Since then I have twice taken a single OD pedal (Tech21 Double Drive) and delay pedal (Guyatone MD3) as a "mini pedalboard" which I didn't even use. My Budda amp has been out of the case maybe 3 times.

I have no need for any of it. I need to make an effort to sell that stuff... Could fund a nice Suhr or Anderson :)

FreqOut, Carcosa, Eisenhower Fuzz, Ge Fuzz Face, Tone Bender mkI, Basic Audio Zippy, FY-2 Clone, Green Russian Reissue (actually the Axe does a great Muff, but since these are like $59 new not much used value so haven’t bothered to sell), Wooly Mammoth clone, Roger Mayer Axis clone

Working on building a couple of Treble Boosters at the moment as well.

Basically the Axe can do any and all modulation and most any boost/drive sounds, with the exception of some unique fuzz pedals

2 Eventide H9’s. I sold about $2k worth of pedals on eBay after getting my Axe FX III. But, even after getting an H9000, I can’t part with my H9’s. The effects are excellent, and the ability to swap inputs and outputs by just reconfiguring software is beyond compare. Since Eventide continues to update the platform with new algorithms, it’s like the Axe FX...the gift that keeps on giving.

2 Eventide H9’s. I sold about $2k worth of pedals on eBay after getting my Axe FX III. But, even after getting an H9000, I can’t part with my H9’s. The effects are excellent, and the ability to swap inputs and outputs by just reconfiguring software is beyond compare. Since Eventide continues to update the platform with new algorithms, it’s like the Axe FX...the gift that keeps on giving.
I was on the fence with the H9. I think you just sealed the deal for me :).

Bunch of stuff I've made (fuzzes mainly). An Analogman TS-9. A Ross Compressor. Some beta pedals I got from empress when I was testing and helping write manuals for them. Not much. And only the empress compressor gets used regularly. By the bass player in my band! :D

All of them. And I will probably add a few more. I just like building real boards and tweaking knobs.

But I could achieve 95% of the sounds with my Axe FX.

Back
Top Bottom