Which Guitarists Have You Discovered, Maybe Late In Their Career, That You Never Knew Were Badass?

I'd have to also add Matt Bellamy to my list, because I didn't discover Muse until about 5 years ago, watching their show from 2003 on Austin City Limits, and I just could not get over how thick his tone was! I thought, He's got to be running multiple amps. But the music was also mesmerizing; I had never heard anything like it, and it really hit me. I dug in to discover just how super-talented he is..., amazing vocals, great producer & composer, wide range of influences including classical, very accomplished piano player as well, and he totally rules the stage.

I hadn't felt that way towards watching an act live since probably way back when I saw Rush live on Moving Pictures. Got to see Muse on their last tour, and up to that point, Pink Floyd was the best live production I had seen, but Muse's show raised that bar quite a bit higher, especially when that big monster-thing came out near the end of the show!

Last edited:
Olavi Mikkonen from Amon Amarth. I recently started going "back in time" to some of the more prototypical melodic death metal and it's wild to me how polished their sound was.

Robert Quine

I first became aware of him due to his playing on Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend". His stuff with Lou Reed is even better.

Kazuya from the Japanese band called Bomb Factory. If you genetically took the best parts of Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin and Geordie Walker of Killing Joke and blended them in one player, I believe Kazuya would be the result. He's such a riff master.

Back
Top Bottom