Which guitar technique was most difficult for you?

Suhrfer

Experienced
What, if anything ''plagued'' you on guitar? Did you finally get it or is it still kicking your ass? For me it was switching between chords quick, smooth, and clean. I'm just curious, and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I'm a lefty that plays righty, so my right hand technique leaves a lot to be desired. But, I'm also a classical guitarist first. So, sweeping and economy picking in general is something that takes a lot of extra effort, whereas I've seen some of my students just pick those things up more naturally (and if they would practice more... lol).

The part that involves playing.

Seriously though it's always been my right hand technique, even long before I knew that was what it was.....I mean is.

Sweep/economy picking, and picked string skipping. But this video helped me a bunch. I was already doing a few of these techniques he suggests but his part on progressive muting means he really understands how to keep them super clean. And the guys pretty funny too.

When I first picked up the guitar I learnt a few 3/4 note sweeps first before I could even vibrato properly. Before my accident I could sweep reasonably well and now I can just about sweep one or two shapes to a reasonable standard. Now, because of my left index finger, I can't even play an open C properly. :/

Consistency. My problem is, was, and probably always will be playing something consistently the way it should be
played, ie. mistake-free. I need to learn focus, but that is so much easier said than done.

I'd go with this

I have an odd issue where transitioning between 3rd, 2nd & 1st strings on the way up - and similarly, 4th, 5th & 6th strings on the way down - often results in a muddled note or two. Almost as if the mind thinks the run is done, when it isn't and just stops concentrating

A closer look at what happens kinda reveals that the 3rd finger is the biggest culprit and the issue is compounded when the 2nd finger gets involved too. 1st & pinkie tend to behave pretty well, so maybe it's a lack of strength or dexterity there which exaggerates the problem..?

Slowing down of course helps, but faster, more intricate things can come with no problem. The lack of consistency and accuracy is as annoying is it is strange

I guess the old adage of repetitively running over it at a slower pace and gradually building things up so that you simply can't get it wrong applies here as much as anything, but finding the time and focus is not that easy

I would add that too many years of 'brushing over the weakness because it's not been *that* important for what I do 99% of the time' has kinda ingrained the bad habit and make it harder to break
unsure.gif

Last edited:
anybody can learn to do anything with enough practice

the most important things to focus on, imo are

vibrato - i can't tell you how many people i see on youtube who can fly around the fretboard, but their vibrato makes me wince.
string bending - or accurate string bending. see above. correct technique is important...don't bend by curling your fingers...it comes from the wrist.
playing what's in your head, or connecting your inner ear with your hands. one of the most difficult things to master.
good phrasing. so many people just don't have it.
theory. learn what the hell you're doing.

as fripp says...it comes down to head, heart and hands. knowledge, feel and technique.

+1 more for sweeping. I was never really into it enough to practice it, but I am always a little jealous of people that can do it.

I've really been concentrating on expression and note choice lately. I find it much more rewarding than all the years I chased the shred techniques.

Sweep/economy picking, and picked string skipping. But this video helped me a bunch. I was already doing a few of these techniques he suggests but his part on progressive muting means he really understands how to keep them super clean. And the guys pretty funny too.

Thanks for pointing out this guy. His explanation of technique is quite good - not to mention that he is hilarious - check out his Satriani - Always vid - his playing faces give Mark Day a run for his money.

The picking walking bass with the thumb and articulating a melody with the index, middle, & ring fingers.

It blows my mind whenever I see people do it, but my brain can't seem to fire the neurons in that way.

So mine is pretty lame.

Stepping on a freaking pedal while playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have zero balance.

I have about busted my ass so many times trying to step on a pedal to switch channels, turn on a stomp box, etc.

Back
Top Bottom