Which FRFR Speakers?

I know a guy who might be able to do that in my town. I messaged him to see what he thinks. It would be stellar to have two 1-12 cabs.

No. I almost went that route. Was alot cheaper to just add an amp to my rack. Had the extra space and wanted to keep the weight down on the cabs. Wouldnt be difficult to add a plate amp to the celestion spec box tho.
Do folks think the size of the box should be modified if an amp took up space inside?

Do folks think the size of the box should be modified if an amp took up space inside?
I wondered that myself but there's really not much to most plate amps so I'd be surprised if it would effect the cab volume significantly. Would be a good question to ask celestion tho. They usually respond quickly anytime I've submitted a question on their website.

Yes.

I’d recommend that you consider how you’ll deploy these speakers (if you haven’t already, of course) as electrical ground differences between the amp/speakers and AFX3/rack (if any) can cause noise/hum issues. Me personally I’d prefer my electronics all be together in a nice rack/case — speakers generally suffer more physical abuse during transit and their built-in amps often don’t like it, and I usually prefer having to only run speaker cables across stage than electrical extension cords AND the line-level cables for signal (which really need separation if run parallel to each other). I have also had bad results if the plate amp switches/knobs are facing the wandering fingers of audience members…

Last edited:
Yes.

I’d recommend that you consider how you’ll deploy these speakers (if you haven’t already, of course) as electrical ground differences between the amp/speakers and AFX3/rack (if any) can cause noise/hum issues. Me personally I’d prefer my electronics all be together in a nice rack/case — speakers generally suffer more physical abuse during transit and their built-in amps often don’t like it, and I usually prefer having to only run speaker cables across stage than electrical extension cords AND the line-level cables for signal (which really need separation if run parallel to each other). I have also had bad results if the plate amp switches/knobs are facing the wandering fingers of audience members…
Fair points all.

Guess I was feeling like this was just a homegrown version of commercial powered FRFRs, which are widely used, same division of components as that.

Also, in theory, short speaker cables are somewhat worth achieving, where short line level cables don't matter so much

Fair points all.

Guess I was feeling like this was just a homegrown version of commercial powered FRFRs, which are widely used, same division of components as that.

Also, in theory, short speaker cables are somewhat worth achieving, where short line level cables don't matter so much
Oh yeah x100 on short(er) speaker cables in many applications.

No accident that on large concert “passive” line arrays we fly the amp racks right behind the speakers, although truth be told that’s more about trying to minimize the size/weight that long big-ass speaker cables add to truck weight (and roadie moaning) than their damping-factor (hence fidelity) benefits to LF reproduction. Same reason that 100% of our permanent-install arrays are self-powered speakers — especially now that the internal amps are equipped with Danté and super-good DSP. Power circuit and network cables and you’re done!

Ive got a f12-x200, tried it in a Marshall 1912 MDF 1x12 and it wasn’t good (too midrange heavy), then put it in a thiele cabinet and it’s was great. I’ve picked up a used matrix GM50 amp module to make it a powered version.
Where did you find the matrix amp?

Do you think is a good option the red sound of G66?. 2 speakers working in stereo.Nobody talks about them, is dificult to understand because is the same page that we bought the FM3

Do you think is a good option the red sound of G66?. 2 speakers working in stereo.Nobody talks about them, is dificult to understand because is the same page that we bought the FM3
I have both the Red Sound Elis 8 and MF10. I did a reviev about them. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Cheers
Sash

Do you have the review link or something else that can I see?. Which is your feeling with the sound of both? (diferences between them) and they changes the output sound than you can listen with your headphones?. Thanks a lot and sorry for my english, I'm spanish and I have a low level.

Do you have the review link or something else that can I see?. Which is your feeling with the sound of both? (diferences between them) and they changes the output sound than you can listen with your headphones?. Thanks a lot and sorry for my english, I'm spanish and I have a low level.
Or course, all your answers should be answered here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/red-sound-elis8-frfr-review-and-mf-10-comparision.170245/

I also recommend to watch video from Marco Fanton, Frank Steffen Müller and this one from Sulh Ryatt:

But let’s not spam this Thread here and let us move for further questions to the RE sound Thread.

Last edited:
a late reply, and while initially, with a technical focus i would say yes, as you will effectively have a smaller box and therefore the tuning would be higher.. however I ran the numbers in winlsd and the difference is negligible.

fwiw the celestion design of this 55.44 litre box gives a 3dB bump at about 120Hz or so, a not uncommon artifact of a ported design but as a plate amp would only reduce the enclosure volume by 1-2 litres tops the resonant freq shifts (tho hard to tell) mebbe 1-2Hz..little enough to ignore.

Back
Top Bottom