Which FRFR Speakers?

joe1871

Inspired
Hey All,

I am going to either build my own, or simply replace the speakers in two cabs I already have. They are both Mesa Recto cabs, with Black Widows in one, and I believe V30's in the other. I would like to take the spoeakers out, and then put FR FR speakers in. I have a 2x12 Horizontal Recto, and a great old Mesa 2x12 wedge cabinet - meaning monitor wedge shaped. I love the wedge cab, as I am really tall, and it lets me hear myself instead instead of having the mix hit me in the knees.

So the question is, which speakers should I get? I am right now thinking of the Celestion F12-X200. I am just not aware of what might be a good alternative, and I am hoping you guys might have an idea. What do companies like Atomic, Mission, or other FRFR cab manufactuireras use? Is it a driver and a horn?

I have a full woodworking shop that I can use to build a copy of the slant monitor cab. I would do that if the internals need to be different. I have been researching FRFR cabinets, but I am not sure what design to use. Am I best off just reusing the cab(s) I have, or does it make a huge difference to build some new design cab that is specifically for FRFR? I am just beginning to think about doing this. Who knows? I am hoping you folks can tell me what to buy.

Thanks folks...

Joe

Last edited:
If you are really into woodworking, check out GreenBoy. Hopefully if you look hard enough, DIY plans are still available. I use a a GreenBoy Fearless F115 (built professionally, not by me) because I wanted to be sure to capture every nuance of a cranked 4x12 while avoiding the destruction any more peoples' ears that were in the "treble beam". I have got to say that crossovers, active or passive, and separate speakers for different frequency bands, all in the same cab, still have a purpose, especially if you have the power of a Matrix GT1000 to waste in passive crossovers.

I use Adam A5Xs at home nowadays, and if fate would do the right thing and let me play a gig (in NW UK, we still have COVID), I'd let you know if the F115 did the same thing at big-room gig volume. My gut feel is that they are pretty flat across the frequencies. Last I gigged the F115 with Matrix GT1000 FX I was kind of chuffed. It feels a long time ago now. ;)

Liam

Last edited:
All I know is the cabinets make a big deal. Matching transducers, crossovers and cabinets seems a bit of a mystery to me (not entirely), but I do know that like studios, boxes are often not great designs. Wave guides and ports often come into play as well.

If you're going to use the F12-X200, use their cabinet plans. They're designed for it, by folks who know way more about this stuff than most of us.
Yep! Celestion did all the work for you. They got what??? 90 years in the speaker game. Best solution I've found so far.

I am curious about those Celestions. Have a bunch of cabs---from 1 x 12s to a couple of empty 2 x 12s and 4 x 12s.
Tempted to grab a couple and drop them in to try out.

Only out of curiousity, of course, and not because a lack of current tones. :)

I am curious about those Celestions. Have a bunch of cabs---from 1 x 12s to a couple of empty 2 x 12s and 4 x 12s.
Tempted to grab a couple and drop them in to try out.

Only out of curiousity, of course, and not because a lack of current tones. :)
Could always order a pair a return them if you don't like them....I think.

Just looked at sweetwater...NOTE: Speakers are non-returnable.
You are correct. I ordered mine from amplified-parts. They were 150 each when I purchased them.
Cool. I'm finding SW is not the be-all, end-all for music gear, like a lot of people think. I got a much better deal on my Majesty from Willcut Guitars, for example. The 2 year warranty thing might be important for certain purchases, I suppose...

Too bad parts express doesn't sell them. They will take returns and sell them discounted open box. That's why I was thinking SW may do the same thing....turns out they don't.

Back
Top Bottom