Which FRFR is more flat like Mackie HR824's ?

flyingfadr

Power User
I have read several reviews here, but has anyone that uses the Mackie HR824's studio monitors tested any of the FRFR cabinets to see which is more flat in response, like the mackie studio monitors ?

I picked up a QSC K12, and it's not quite what I am looking for... I will try it this weekend on the PA, and see how it sounds, but for my Axe FX, it;s not workin' for me. I set up my presets like I would normally EQ a real mic'd guitar in the studio... and on the K12's they are a little too bright for my liking. Either they accentuate the Highs and Lows, or there is a drop in response of the mids. I don't want to re-EQ my HIGH gain presets, because they sound FAT as $#!% in my studio... I just want to try and find the FRFR cabs (preferably wedges) that are more flat like my studio monitors.... those that my High gain presets will translate well to..

Anyone have any personal experience in what might be the most flat system ? the 12ma's or the Atomics ?

Sorry if this topic is getting run in the dirt, but I'm looking for FLAT, not hyped EQ...

Thanks in advance !!

I know this is not the reply you're looking for, but you could compensate for the K12's brightness with a Global EQ curve that you only invoke when playing live...

Yeah... I was just trying to avoid using a global EQ and having to re-EQ the sounds that I just got to sound the way I want them to sound...

I just want a FLAT monitor to reproduce the sound that I created in the studio.... the K12 is not flat... I wonder if the Verve 12ma or the Atomic monitor is more flat..??

I hate to say it, but IMO you'll either need to spend more money on your FRFR monitor or EQ out the nonlinearities, if you use something in this price range. I have tried a K10 and found it to be significantly different than my Dynaudio BM5a's. I have not tried the Atomic or Verve, but I have tried a few other products in this price range, and they had the same type of issue.

Terry.

Thanks Terry !!

Then I hope to hear from someone who has tried all 3 and can chime in and give some clarity...

With the possible exception of something that's not commercially available, I know of no PA-type monitor that's as neutral as you indicate you're looking for.

If anyone knows of such a beast, and it's not a lunatic price, I'd like to know. :lol:

For that matter, many studio monitors aren't that flat, either. But the better ones are much more so than stage monitors.

You're much better off to learn how to quickly EQ for the key differences between your studio monitors and your stage monitor, and use the Global EQ. It's a bit coarse, but generally workable, and much easier than inserting a PEQ into every patch.

EDIT: I haven't heard the Atomic or the 12MA, but I've had a QSC HPR122i for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom