Which FRFR? Is it worth it?

Rusty Riffs

I’m considering an FRFR speaker but I currently have the legacy K 12 speakers. My FM three sounds best through my studio monitors and I find the K 12 response to be not very flat. Thoughts? I just want to use one or two for some stage noise like a cab.

The Atomic CLR always gets a lot of love, and for good reason. In my experience they are the top of the pile for clear, transparent reproduction - plus they work equally well as wedge or cab orientation. The downside or course is they are not cheap (the best things in life are free / but you can keep them for the birds and bees ...)

I can highly recommend the XiTone active wedges. Crystal clear response and very loud if needed. Brilliant at every level and with any signal.

If you are in the UK, G66 has the 10" FRFR speaker system that Cooper Carter and Marco Fenton use. They sound great on their channels. Never tried one in person, though.

I can highly recommend the XiTone active wedges. Crystal clear response and very loud if needed. Brilliant at every level and with any signal.

If you are in the UK, G66 has the 10" FRFR speaker system that Cooper Carter and Marco Fenton use. They sound great on their channels. Never tried one in person, though.
I'm strongly considering one of these.

You’re talking about the Red Sound MF.10 speakers. @Marco Fanton helped design them. @Sashman also has a pair and really likes them.

See Red SoundMF.10 G66 Edition FRFR Review too.

I had the ELIS.8, the little brothers to the MF.10, for a while and really liked their sound. Red Sound does a good job.

Each Output on the Axe III has its own global graphic EQ. You can use that to fine tune the response of whatever FRFR cab you choose to some extent. You could say put your good monitors on Output 1 and the FRFR on Output 2 and compare them head to head to fine tune the response. Might be good enough if you just want some extra stage fill and not have to break the bank on primo FRFR cabs.

You’re talking about the Red Sound MF.10 speakers. @Marco Fanton helped design them. @Sashman also has a pair and really likes them.

See Red SoundMF.10 G66 Edition FRFR Review too.

I had the ELIS.8, the little brothers to the MF.10, for a while and really liked their sound. Red Sound does a good job.
Thank you for mention me!
Of course I would vote for the Red Sound MF10 or Elis8.
After many years of testing and searching for the right FRFR speaker, I would definitely buy them again.

Thank you for mention me!
Of course I would vote for the Red Sound MF10 or Elis8.
After many years of testing and searching for the right FRFR speaker, I would definitely buy them again.
Are the Red Sound speakers available in the US? I saw a different post mentioning a US distributor, but I haven't been able to figure out if that is a real thing, or something that will be coming in the future to the US. Thanks!

I used a k12 for 10 years, not one issue, not one burp. I stood mine up and cant remember what i had on the back, some low cut I think. More that capable, and loud. I now have 2 clrs, but could get along with a k12 just as easy.

Are the Red Sound speakers available in the US? I saw a different post mentioning a US distributor, but I haven't been able to figure out if that is a real thing, or something that will be coming in the future to the US. Thanks!
I thought I saw a U.S. distributor also, but don't remember who it was. I'd recommend contacting Red Sound, as they'll handle it if there isn't a distributor. Red Sound are great people to work with.

Update: Lyon & Healy is the U.S. distributor. @NewWorldMan

PS - I'm giving serious thought to re-purchasing a set of ELIS.8, along with the Studio Slips bags for them. I sold my first pair because the stage I was using them on was so small I had to stand against the cabs and that put my ears way above the sound dispersion. I have a different place I'd be using them now, and they'd be a perfect fit. I'd even consider going with the MF.10's just for the added punch, though the 8's have major punch already.

Last edited:
I thought I saw a U.S. distributor also, but don't remember who it was. I'd recommend contacting Red Sound, as they'll handle it if there isn't a distributor. Red Sound are great people to work with.

Update: Lyon & Healy is the U.S. distributor. @NewWorldMan

PS - I'm giving serious thought to re-purchasing a set of ELIS.8, along with the Studio Slips bags for them. I sold my first pair because the stage I was using them on was so small I had to stand against the cabs and that put my ears way above the sound dispersion. I have a different place I'd be using them now, and they'd be a perfect fit. I'd even consider going with the MF.10's just for the added punch, though the 8's have major punch already.

I looked on the Lyon & Healey website and it says they are a distributor, but the list of dealers is "coming soon". I assume that means they have a deal to distribute, but aren't selling to the end user. Is that correct?

I am looking at the MF10’s as well. Contacted Lyon & Harley via their online submittal form and they responded back the same day. They are the official and exclusive dealer in the U.S. or so the email response says. Located in Chicago. They said whatever I was interested in could be shipped from Chicago. Hope this helps.

I can highly recommand

EV PXM-12MP​

although I dont own it myself but the predecessor AXM12 from Dynacord which is more or less the same. When EV came on the market I compared both to eachother - to me no differnce besides Dynacord is not available anymore ;-)

I can highly recommand

EV PXM-12MP​

although I dont own it myself but the predecessor AXM12 from Dynacord which is more or less the same. When EV came on the market I compared both to eachother - to me no differnce besides Dynacord is not available anymore ;-)
I have a pair and like them very much.

Studio Slips makes great bags for them too.

Dynacord makes the amplifier used inside the EVs still.

I am looking at the MF10’s as well. Contacted Lyon & Harley via their online submittal form and they responded back the same day. They are the official and exclusive dealer in the U.S. or so the email response says. Located in Chicago. They said whatever I was interested in could be shipped from Chicago. Hope this helps.
Thank you!!

I'm using a pair of Friedman ASM 12s with my FM3 and the Fender amps all sound like they have a blanket over them. Been thinking of ditching the ASMs and replace them with something different.

Another vote for Xitone wedges. I have two; usually only drag one out to most gigs. I'm usually quite a tone tweaker but I've never felt the need to "upgrade" from the sound I get from these. I also have a custom 15" wedge from Xitone that I use for bass.

Back
Top Bottom