Which firmware made you say WOW the most?

Roby Rocks

Inspired
Vendor
Hi!
What is it, in your opinion, the most relevant firmware updates for axefx3 from the first to the last?
For "relevant" I intend the firmwares that has improved the sound (or better "the simulations"), which firmware made you say WOW the most?
I would like know this because I want to do an experiment...
Thanks!

Last edited:
The last couple of updates have added a "crispness of tone/feel" capability (ie in the 6CA7 plexi and box of crunch) that I feel are something new and significantly better.

It depends on what you mean. Amp improvements only or any block (e.g. flanger, pitch, drive) or functional improvements (e.g. dual modifiers)?

If amp improvements, it also depends on what kind of amps. There have been several cathode follower (CF) improvements but only modes with CFs would be noticeable.

If you give some parameters, it might help. You can always read through release notes!

If you're thinking primarily about amp tones, the Major version updates are usually amp simulation updates that affect some or all amp models. i.e. 11.x, 12.x, 13.x, 14.x. Other blocks that get major overhauls are usually minor number updates, ie x.01, x.02, etc.

The release notes can help you make sense of what was when:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware_release_notes_-_Axe-Fx_III

In 14.00 the Cathode follower was updated improving
  • Friedman Small Box
  • Dizzy V4 Blue (all models)
  • Herbie (all models)
  • Recto 1/2 (all models)
13.00 was actually the full drive block diode clipping improvement which was a big change for drive blocks.

11.00 added speaker impedance curves, which was a huge deal to a lot of people.

10 and back seems to have a lot of power amp improvements, cathode follower improvements, etc. I'm not sure which are considered big deals or not.

I try to explain....
Basically today there are 14 firmware. From the first firmware update (1.03) to the last (14.01) the sound is generally improved.
But, in my opinion, not all firmwares are essential. For example from 9 to 10 or from 12 to 13 I don’t hear any difference (I’m talking about amp and effects simulations).
So, assumed it, I would like what is it in your opinion the relevant firmware updates

But, in my opinion, not all firmwares are essential.
Conversely, I doubt Firmware releases are made for no reason at all, I'm sure the Fractal team have plenty of 'other' things they could be doing.

For example from 9 to 10 or from 12 to 13 I don’t hear any difference (I’m talking about amp and effects simulations).
As stated, read the release notes which explain the details.
Like all software code, bugs exist and need to be rectified and in those instances one won't necessarily 'hear' any difference because the intention of the release wasn't intended to do so.

I am not sure what the OP is really after. My guess is that he is trying to pinpoint " an earth shattering change that exist from one version to another". I don't think that will exists and here is my reasoning. I have owned my AxeFX3 since they came out and AxeFx IIXL before that. My observation is that Cliff and the Fractal team are heavily invested in the continuous improvement methodology of software development. This is so apparent with the AxeFX3 ... unlike other companies who release a product and let the firmware/software sit for a year or more (sometimes all you get is the initial release), The Fractal team puts out REGULAR updates. Each update improves the product in an INCREMENTAL way. It is for this reason there will most likely not be an earth shattering update that changes the sound in a radical way. Add to this that the sound of version 1.x was amazing to begin with and now 14+ versions later it is even better, Cliff and team has less and less room/need for improvement as time goes on. As a retired software professional and a long time digital guitar guy (started in 1998 with Roland VG8) I have the utmost respect for Cliff and team. The level of transparency the development team has is amazing, the responsiveness to user requests and bug fixes is truly world class. - I can't think of another musical product line that offers so much in FREE upgrades. This is why I will be a life-long customer .

I've experienced all firmware updates since Axe-Fx Standard, back in 2006.

The most relevant has always been the latest one, and there is no such thing as a non-essential firmware update, because they all added improvements and/or corrections.

I try to explain....
Basically today there are 14 firmware. From the first firmware update (1.03) to the last (14.01) the sound is generally improved.
But, in my opinion, not all firmwares are essential. For example from 9 to 10 or from 12 to 13 I don’t hear any difference (I’m talking about amp and effects simulations).
So, assumed it, I would like what is it in your opinion the relevant firmware updates

Firmware updates are cumulative. The latest firmware will include and build upon all previous improvements/changes unless otherwise noted in the release notes. Major version updates (like 13.x to 14.x, etc.) typically include some kind of change to the core modeling algorithms. Sub-version updates (like 13.1 to 13.2, etc.) are usually feature changes, added models, added/changed parameters, bug fixes, etc. You can often expect to hear more modeling differences between full version updates compared to sub-version ones. Whether or not each update is really necessary depends entirely on the user and how they use their Axe FX. Best thing to do is read the release notes to see what the update does. If it addresses a bug or issue that you have or includes a new feature that you're interested in, go ahead and install it. If an update is centered around changes to a block or feature you never use, there's no harm in skipping it.

At this point, most modeling improvements are likely going to be somewhat subtle. The models have gotten so good and accurate that there's just not as much improvement left to make anymore. When a model sounds 99.8% like the real one it's based on, that last 0.2% is not going to be earth shattering.

Last edited:
Each FW version makes a difference to some extent, some more than others and opinions vary from player to player, but the biggest leap from one FW to the other for me was 11.0. Really pushed the III to another level of 'dimension' and feel in my opinion.

Good lord, people. Roby is an expert and a vendor here. He also doesn’t speak English natively.
His question is:

Consider all the following
When you upgraded from 1.x to 2.x
When you upgraded from 2.x to 3.x
When you upgraded from 3.x to 4.x
When you upgraded from 13.x to 14.x
Etc

Which one of these made you say WOW the most?
Which of those upgrades really blew your socks off?
Obviously 14.x is the best. But was going from 13.x to 14.x the biggest single upgrade or did it pale in comparison to the upgrade from y.x to z.x?

That’s what he’s asking.

he’s sparking conversation, not asking if he should stay on fw9

Good lord, people. Roby is an expert and a vendor here. He also doesn’t speak English natively.

No need for indignation, I'd venture to say that the majority of people here speak English as their native language, hence the replies given (and the time it took to give them).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom