Which Expression pedal to get?

sidsin

Inspired
Hello Everyone!

Was going to order an expression pedal from Mission Engineering. Basically one pedal which I can alter between volume and wah. Any suggestions?

Have previously just used a volume pedal and a cry baby, but have done away with those and was just going to limit myself to the single pedal.

I use two:
a Dunlop Volume (X) Volume & Expression Pedal and the Dunlop Volume (X) Volume MINI.
I much prefer them to the Mission pedal I used to use.

I've tried almost every EP on the market. Love the Dunlop XL (if you have the luxury of space and weight). It's smooth and extremely touch sensitive. 2nd choice is the Dunlop X. Nothing else comes close.

I use the Mission SP-1 spring loaded.

I change the latching switch to a momentary so I can use it to change scenes as well. Light tap goes to one scene, hold tap to another. With this setup I am doing far less tap dancing in and out of solos live.

I use two:
a Dunlop Volume (X) Volume & Expression Pedal and the Dunlop Volume (X) Volume MINI.
I much prefer them to the Mission pedal I used to use.

How come?

The travel on the Dunlop is MUCH longer (even on the Mini) which enables me to get exactly the sweet spot for wah work.
Also the Mission pedal eventually caved in. The cast metal chassis started collapsing around the treadle mounts.

I use a cheap maudio expression pedal, bedroom only. Thinking about getting another for volume or pitch. I want the fractal pedals, but maybe if I was on stage.

Hello Everyone!

Was going to order an expression pedal from Mission Engineering. Basically one pedal which I can alter between volume and wah. Any suggestions?

Have previously just used a volume pedal and a cry baby, but have done away with those and was just going to limit myself to the single pedal.

I used to have a crybaby and a volume pedal back when I was using my analog pedalboard.

I am now using a Mission Engineering SP-1, which is an expression pedal and a switch all in one. It feels like a CryBaby, but can be used as a bare expression pedal as well.

I have 2 of the Fractal EV-1 pedals on my main touring board, and 2 of the EV-2 pedals on my "grab and go / fly date" board. They are impossible to beat for quality and perfect linearity.

If you're accustomed to the feel of a CryBaby, go with the Mission pedal. I have used several of their expression pedals over the years, and prefer the response of the Fractal model. That said, the Mission expression pedals have the same throw and general feel as a standard wah, and they are also very durable. I don't like the Roland, Moog, or Dunlop variants. It's not a question of their quality; I just have a strong preference for consistent friction and response. I'm weirdly particular about the action and throw of a pedal. I'm willing to re-program myself to use another model if it guarantees perfect mechanical consistency across all of my uses, which is why I switched to Fractal. It also means I spend less time creating custom expression curves to accommodate for response anomalies, which I had to do for my previous expression pedals.

In college, I played tympani in the symphony. Tympani have a footpedal that adjusts the tuning of the drum (it's like a loooong wah pedal with a locking mechanism), and the percussion score includes the starting pitches for each drum, as well as any tuning changes necessary during the performance. You set the pitch by moving your heel to one side to unlock the tuning mechanism, then moving the pedal down or up to change the tension on the head, then releasing your heel to re-engage the mechanical lock. You sometimes seen a tympanist leaning over the drum, with their ear very close to the head, and lightly tapping the drum to see if it's in tune. If the drums are correctly set up, I can do this silently. I developed the muscle memory to know (and set) the pitch of the drum by the angle of the pedal.

See? I told you I was weird about this.

Mission “Aero” for me. I like to play sitting down lately (session work) — the angle/mechanics and longer throw suit doing so quite nicely. Lots of internal switching options for polarity, multiple outputs if desired.

Add in that it’s really built and über-smooth and you’ve got a nice addition to an AFX.

Back
Top Bottom