Which exact Keystone DSP in the Axe-Fx III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they don’t have to use the chip at its maximum clock speed. So that 1 GHz only excludes the low end ones, IMO.

Well some people are chip geeks...I really don't care about the price, etc. Chip architecture, process tech, performance specs, etc. are kinda cool, if not underappreciated for all the tech and engineering marvel that can put hundreds of millions to a billion plus transistors on a die and have it all work perfectly running a GHz speeds. Then think about all that crazy, dynamic modeling math Cliff cooks up, turned to code and funneled through in billions of floating point operation per second. The chip is rock-star in its own right!

Last edited:
At the consumer level no need to know this really.

I can’t speak for the OP, but I’m really curious about it. Because, you know, at the consumer level there’s no need to know how many tons of stuff a Falcon Heavy can carry to the orbit. Or how many gears the 18-wheeler that delivers food to your local supermarket has. Or what a DSP is, or FFT. Some people still like to know.

It’s interesting also to know what DSP (and what kind of price) to think about the next step = Ax8 II, which could get one of these 1ghz Keystone... and be as powerful as an XL II....

TigerSHARC were a lot more expensive than Ax8 Sharc... but will it be the same for next gen...?

I never understood this attitude. Why willfully choose to be ignorant about things?

Ignorant about it? As if knowing about a particular component is going to make it a buy or no buy lol. It's like someone who's buying a car asks who manufactured the chips in the vehicles computer. The average buyer really doesn't need to know ;)

The comment to the op wasn't meant to sand bag him or anything. Just funny that someone would actually care as it doesn't matter on a level.

Ignorant about it? As if knowing about a particular component is going to make it a buy or no buy lol. It's like someone who's buying a car asks who manufactured the chips in the vehicles computer. The average buyer really doesn't need to know ;)

The comment to the op wasn't meant to sand bag him or anything. Just funny that someone would actually care as it doesn't matter on a level.
On one hand you're saying you're not sand bagging, and then on the other, you turn around and do it (again).

If you don't care, fine. If he does, fine. Why do you feel the need to inject your opinion on what he cares about? I really don't get that attitude at all...

On one hand you're saying you're not sand bagging, and then on the other, you turn around and do it (again).

If you don't care, fine. If he does, fine. Why do you feel the need to inject your opinion on what he cares about? I really don't get that attitude at all...

Are people this sensitive on this forum? Seriously...Absolutely no attitude here. Fine you win.

Wanting to know the specific chip is one thing. Wanting to know the price adds bullshit to the mix. You all have seen prior threads about the cost of chips and people coming up with off the wall arguments that the AxeFX shouldn't cost as much as it does. Know one but Fractal knows the amount of chips they buy and the type of discount they get. Someone will come in and say the AxeIII only uses chip X and I can buy them for $50. The Axe shouldn't cost that much, it's a rip off.

It matters not how much Fractal paid for the chips. Every AxeFx is more than just proc. Wanting to know the price is irrelevant.

Keystone DSPs run a range of prices. Seen them over $600. Not really relevant what Fractal pays; more to the point is what they can make it do!

Wanting to know the specific chip is one thing. Wanting to know the price adds bullshit to the mix. You all have seen prior threads about the cost of chips and people coming up with off the wall arguments that the AxeFX shouldn't cost as much as it does. Know one but Fractal knows the amount of chips they buy and the type of discount they get. Someone will come in and say the AxeIII only uses chip X and I can buy them for $50. The Axe shouldn't cost that much, it's a rip off.

It matters not how much Fractal paid for the chips. Every AxeFx is more than just proc. Wanting to know the price is irrelevant.
The OP mentioned nothing about price, he merely asked which chip it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom