Which Ernie Ball VP-JR should I use?

those are volume pedals, you can use either one, but that is not a true exspresion pedal. you will have to use a insert cable to connect it, or modify it to a trs jack if not using it inline for volume control.

Both work but are not ideal. Because of the taper of the pot, most of the action happens in the first inch of travel. Terrible for slow swells or fine adjustments. You can tweak the controller curve to help somewhat, but it's not ideal. I'm going to swap my VP jr for an actual expression pedal.

Are there any advantages to using the Fractal EV-1 as an analog volume pedal rather than using it as an expression pedal and putting a volume block in the signal chain? Other than the fact that it frees up a block, of course.

The only advantage is that it frees up a block. Several disadvantages...can't move it around in the signal chain as easily, and you're locked into using it as volume only. If you want to free up a block, you could use the EV1 as an expression pedal configured to control volume globally. The advantage is that you can easily move it pre/post in the signal chain.

Back
Top Bottom