Which effects should be placed where?

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
Hi, i was wondering why The reverb and all The other effects are put after both cabinet and amp. Wouldn't we want to only put effect on the amp an into the cabinet?

Most amps with reverb built in had their reverb circuit after their preamps....but before reverb was actually introduced in amps, they put it before the amp - the great classic fender '63 tube reverb was made to be used in front of an amp. For modern type and high gain tones, this would sounds very strange, because you also amplify the reverb tail to your direct guitar sound, which would be boosted by the preamp gain stages and now get as much as loud as the direct guitar signal (which would be compressed and distorted anyway). For classic sounds - just as Dick Dale surf tones - experiment with a reverb block in front of your clean amp block.....this is some fun! :)

You can put the reverb trough the cabinet - sure - after the cabinet it might sound more open. It's up to your personal taste - experiment! :)

Cheers
Paco

Hi, i was wondering why The reverb and all The other effects are put after both cabinet and amp. Wouldn't we want to only put effect on the amp an into the cabinet?
My initial thought too, when I first got the Axe, as it is counter to what we're used to in a live environment (eg delays, etc in the FX loop between preamp and power amp). However, in the studio, delays and reverb are added to the recorded amp/cab sound, ie come after the cab, so it isn't so illogical really.

Tonally, for time based effects, I haven't noticed any difference in placement, whether between amp and cab or after the cab (though I like really dirty, messy tones, so I'm probably not the best judge of those types of nuances, lol).

From a practical point of view, when editing via the front panel, I find it quicker to have the amp and cab blocks together as I'm often tweaking these at the same time when setting up a preset. Minor point, I know, but just my 2 centimes worth.

Back
Top Bottom