Which effects do you actually use?

Here is my default template - I prefer to have everything in and remove what I do not need
KitchenSin.png
(I can see, I need to update the scene names - at least two use different amps now.)

Before the amp, I have
Wah and autowah
Phaser (mostly used as phaser rather than vibe)
comopressor
drive
delay (memory man)
Spring reverb
There is a cab block with acoustic simulation IRs
Post amp + cab
Gate for the really distorted stuff
M-Comp (for distorted stuff and acoustic sims)
Comp (OptoComp puts the shine on any guitar tone
PEQ (this is where I make scene-scene level adjustments with a scene controller)
Enhance (rarely)
Chorus (often dimension (over the top) or Warm Stereo (subtle)
Flange (rarely)
PanTrm (so far only once)
Delay
PlexDelay
Looper (for recording rhythm guitars and practicing solos)

In very few songs, I will add a reverb at the end, but only, when I absolutely need it as an effect. I prefer not to put a lot of extra and unnecessary reverb thru FOH

Let’s see, left to right:
  1. Compressor (usually)
  2. Drive (occasionally, I rely on the amp block for distortion)
  3. Wah (occasionally)
  4. Volume/panner (occasionally)
  5. Phase shifter (seldom)
  6. Amp+cab (always)
  7. Tremolo (sometimes)
  8. Flanger (sometimes)
  9. Chorus (often)
  10. Delay (often)
  11. Rotary (often)
  12. Reverb (always)
Some presets are five blocks long, some have to use the Feedback send/return on the FM3 to fit the blocks.

Here is my default template - I prefer to have everything in and remove what I do not need
View attachment 89483
(I can see, I need to update the scene names - at least two use different amps now.)

Before the amp, I have
Wah and autowah
Phaser (mostly used as phaser rather than vibe)
comopressor
drive
delay (memory man)
Spring reverb
There is a cab block with acoustic simulation IRs
Post amp + cab
Gate for the really distorted stuff
M-Comp (for distorted stuff and acoustic sims)
Comp (OptoComp puts the shine on any guitar tone
PEQ (this is where I make scene-scene level adjustments with a scene controller)
Enhance (rarely)
Chorus (often dimension (over the top) or Warm Stereo (subtle)
Flange (rarely)
PanTrm (so far only once)
Delay
PlexDelay
Looper (for recording rhythm guitars and practicing solos)

In very few songs, I will add a reverb at the end, but only, when I absolutely need it as an effect. I prefer not to put a lot of extra and unnecessary reverb thru FOH
Looks like you're in the same boat as me and have to save som CPU usage 😉

Do you have any videos / recordings of you doing your thing? That sounds pretty interesting.

Unfortunately I do not have video capabilities (I know, it's time to enter the late 20th century :)) and the recordings I have aren't great, but in lieu of that, what I'll is start a thread centered around using the AXE for live looping and post some presets I use, and walk through my thoughts on why I do what I do there. I don't want to derail this thread too much

Also, hopefully others will chime in on my thread as well.

I'll tag you so you get an alert.

This is my main preset...I have some specialty presets that have a lot more going on including using both synths, rotary, etc.

Attachments

• Main preset layout.jpg
    Main preset layout.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 14
90% of the time,
amp
cab
delay
reverb
When you mix all the colors, you get brown. if you use all the effects at once, do you get the pedal tone some want in another recent effects forum post?

Not too many -
Drive
Wah
Delays
Reverb
Plex Delay
Pitch (Capo, octave divider, harmony)
Comp

And very light use of
Phaser
Tremolo

Even before I switched to Fractal, I used most of the same effects but one of the reasons why I did make the switch was so I could just hit a button and get everything I wanted and stop the tap dancing.

A guitar player in another band at a show recently commented specifically on that - he said my rig sounded great, but also loved how easy it looked to operate. I definitely agree.

90% of the time,
amp
cab
delay
reverb
When you mix all the colors, you get brown. if you use all the effects at once, do you get the pedal tone some want in another recent effects forum post?
Probably. I've set up my MMGT22 controller so that certain effects can't be engaged at the same time. Like, hitting my phaser button will turn off any chorus, flanger, rotary etc that currently was engaged.

Back
Top Bottom