Which effects do you actually use?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I was redoing my kitchen sink preset for electric (I have separate ones for acoustic and bass), and had to make some compromises and tricks to keep it under 85 %. Now, I´m probably a bit extreme, and want ALL OF THE EFFECTS that I dig available to me. This got me thinking: What do I actually need, or even actually use (more than to amuse myself during a boring gig)?

So it's time for a survey. Since the focus is effects, I've omitted some blocks, and listed certain blocks more than once due to different types in them.

Chorus
Compressor (regular)
Delay (all blocks/types)
Drive pedals
Enhancer
Filter effects
Flanger
Formant (talkbox etc)
Looper
Multiband comp
Phaser (regular)
Phaser, vibe
Pitch, whammy
Pitch, octave divider
Pitch, chromatic
Pitch, detune
Pitch, harmony (diatonic)
Pitch, virtual capo
Pitch, crystal echos
Pitch, arpeggiator
Resonator
Reverb
Ring mod
Rotary
Synth
Tremolo (regular)
Tremolo, panner
Vocoder
Wah

Last edited:
i use the following in various presets:

Chorus
Compressor (regular)
Delay (all blocks/types)
Drive pedals
Enhancer
Filter effects
Flanger
Formant (talkbox etc)
Looper
Multiband comp
Phaser (regular)
Phaser, vibe
Pitch, whammy
Pitch, octave divider
Pitch, chromatic
Pitch, detune
Pitch, virtual capo
Pitch, crystal echos
Pitch, arpeggiator
Resonator
Reverb
Ring mod
Rotary
Synth
Tremolo (regular)
Tremolo, panner
Vocoder
Wah

My "kitchen sink" presets are pretty basic. Drive, phaser, flange, trem, rotary, pitch as pre-amp or post-cab series effects, delay, reverb, chorus as post-cab parallel effects.

Drive, delay, reverb mostly. Single amp, 2 cab IRs for a 57/xx blend. Does the trick! Pitch block for VC to B standard in a couple.

I use these mainly:

Compressor (regular)
Delay (all blocks/types)
Drive pedals
Enhancer
Wah
Reverb
Looper
Pitch, detune
Chorus

I use all of them.

The biggest reason I bought the Axe 3 was to have two separate signal paths, one for guitar, one for live looping delays (Gibson Echoplexes to be specific) and the ability to process the heck out of the loops.

Turns out I can have 3 separate paths, one for each looper, and one for guitar. At times I have used pretty much everything to process the loops.

I use all of them.

The biggest reason I bought the Axe 3 was to have two separate signal paths, one for guitar, one for live looping delays (Gibson Echoplexes to be specific) and the ability to process the heck out of the loops.

Turns out I can have 3 separate paths, one for each looper, and one for guitar. At times I have used pretty much everything to process the loops.
Do you have any videos / recordings of you doing your thing? That sounds pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Never been a big FX guy. Drives, chorus, Delays and reverb-that's it.......................................

Tone Match
Compression
Reverb
Multiband Compression
Gate/Exp
Drive
PEQ
GEQ
Delay
Multitap Delay
Megatap Delay
Plex Delay
Phaser
Chorus
Flanger
Enhancer
Synth
Pitch
Rotary
Tremolo/Panner

Compressor
Wah (pedal and envelope)
Filter (envelope)
Phaser
Drive
Amp
Pitch
Cab
Chorus
Rotary
Delay
Reverb

Sometimes:

Enhancer
Synth
Ring Mod

Edit:

Forgot the all important Looper!

Last edited:
Hahaha I so under use mine in comparison to these-

Kitchen sink template
Comp
Loop 3 out (Digitech Freqout)
Wah
Pitch (Classic Whammy)
Loop 3 in
Phase (Univibe)
Chorus
Drive
Drive (Sometimes I use different boosts for rhyth/lead)
Amp (Usually 3 or 4 per preset)
Gate
Cab
Rotary
Pan/Trem
Delay
Reverb
Delay

My new favorite thing to do with delays is to set the first delay, I’ve been flip flopping between the 2290 and the Ping Pong, set it at 1/4, which feeds a reverb (those are in parallel) which then hit the last delay that I set to Reverse and set the time either 1/2 or whole. For clean, slow passages it’s AWESOME. By the time your second repeats are coming from the first delay, the reverse delays start up.

I just joined a Floyd tribute band tonight thats in it’s beginning stages, so we’ll see how much stuff I end up throwing in there!

All them except Crossover, Formant, Gate, Ring Modulator, Resonator, Tremolo/Panner, Vocoder, Ten-Tap Delay. Rarely a Phaser, Flanger, Rotary or Synth

Looper (for listening while adjusting)
Chorus, Drive, Reverb, Delay, Flange
Pitch (capo and Detune)
Wah, Volume, Midi, Tremolo, PEQ
Multi-band and Studio compressors

EuQyATL.jpg

I was redoing my kitchen sink preset for electric (I have separate ones for acoustic and bass), and had to make some compromises and tricks to keep it under 85 %. Now, I´m probably a bit extreme, and want ALL OF THE EFFECTS that I dig available to me. This got me thinking: What do I actually need, or even actually use (more than to amuse myself during a boring gig)?

So it's time for a survey. Since the focus is effects, I've omitted some blocks, and listed certain blocks more than once due to different types in them.

Chorus
Compressor (regular)
Delay (all blocks/types)
Drive pedals
Enhancer
Filter effects
Flanger
Formant (talkbox etc)
Looper
Multiband comp
Phaser (regular)
Phaser, vibe
Pitch, whammy
Pitch, octave divider
Pitch, chromatic
Pitch, detune
Pitch, virtual capo
Pitch, crystal echos
Pitch, arpeggiator
Resonator
Reverb
Ring mod
Rotary
Synth
Tremolo (regular)
Tremolo, panner
Vocoder
Wah

On a gig, Compressor
Drive
Chorus /Pitch
Reverb
Filter
Delay

On a session, Amp models

Add everything post

We play a pretty basic rock setup so for me:

Delay for lead or sometimes for a particular song (like the echoes in Cheap Sunglasses)

Phaser: I just freaking love a phase on clean sounds and I love throwing it on a lead here and there though I’m trying to be careful and not let this became a Kirk Hammet/wah thing

Virtual capo for songs we play down a half step

Pitch for occasional harmonies like Burning For You

Compressor here and there for some clean and single coil sounds

That’s about it. I love playing with effects but don’t end up using them a lot in a bad context. We have a keys player and I don’t want to take up all the sonic space.

One thing I discovered last year in quarantine (probably from a Leon Todd video) is using the built in delay in the Pitch block on harmonies. Opened me up to a fun world. Playing a note and then the harmony appears an eight note later.

Back
Top Bottom