Which Drive Pedal Is A Clon Copy?

darrenw5094

Certified Bug Hunter
With all the Drives in the Fractal, I would assume that there is a Clon type drive, but I checked the Wiki page and there is none.

Something like the Wampler Tumnus...…..

*eating popcorn emoji*

Just kidding :)

Depending on what you want from your Klon, the Axe may or may not have what you need. There are a few threads and tutorials to set up one of the FET drives as a sort "Klon as a clean boost" setting, but there really isn't a Klon in the Axe. People have asked for it for years but nowadays, even bringing it up is taboo for some reason. I think, too, that many Klons and klones are so different that it'd be impossible to please everyone or have a "standard" klon sound. Throw it up in the Wish List. I'll vote for it. My klones are the only pedals I own that the Axe can't seem to approximate. I'm still on the King of Tone waitlist as well, so we'll see...

Deadly dude

Yep, you can save a name things whatever you want. Too many people get wrapped up in what something is called, not how it sounds.

Heck, I bet you could take a given drive pedal, that is not a Klon, relable it “clon” or whatever, and some people would say it sounds better or more “real” than something which was dialed in to sound the same, but that is named differently.

Ears not eyes lol

After trying the 2 fet boost drives above with the Fender Tweed Deluxe and the Friedman BE, the drive sounds a bit 'fuzz' on the lower notes.

Is that normal with the Klon?

i heard the klon has some parallel gain staging action going on, it's not voodoo...try two drive blocks in parallel, i bet you can do 1 better that's FREE. don't use hardly any gain, but use 2 in parallel, i bet u will :eek: at random, that's what Mr. Klon maker did the first time he put two gain stages in parallel, then he sold it for a bagillion dollars and called it magic

i heard the klon has some parallel gain staging action going on, it's not voodoo...try two drive blocks in parallel, i bet you can do 1 better that's FREE. don't use hardly any gain, but use 2 in parallel, i bet u will :eek: at random, that's what Mr. Klon maker did the first time he put two gain stages in parallel, then he sold it for a bagillion dollars and called it magic

I guess it would be called parallel ?

It’s a clean boost and an OD and a dual ganged pot which inversely blends the clean boost with the OD, so with the drive fully ccw it’s just a boost and as you blend it cw it starts bringing in the OD

This is why you need to use different clipping types when emulating it depending on how you’d set the drive on the real pedal.

I guess it would be called parallel ?

It’s a clean boost and an OD and a dual ganged pot which inversely blends the clean boost with the OD, so with the drive fully ccw it’s just a boost and as you blend it cw it starts bringing in the OD

This is why you need to use different clipping types when emulating it depending on how you’d set the drive on the real pedal.
Honestly, it sounds like the Mix control could be the solution. Turning Mix down as you turn gain up... Because I think the Level is not affected by Mix (I might be wrong).

Edit:

Actually, now that I read that, it sounds wrong.

Maybe starting with Mix at 50% and increasing it as you increase Drive. I'll have to experiment later ;)

Honestly, it sounds like the Mix control could be the solution. Turning Mix down as you turn gain up... Because I think the Level is not affected by Mix (I might be wrong).

Edit:

Actually, now that I read that, it sounds wrong.

Maybe starting with Mix at 50% and increasing it as you increase Drive. I'll have to experiment later ;)

I think it’s not so much an issue of the mix, rather it’s understanding that the settings needed to emulate the real pedal any specific knob setting combination may require significant changes to the level, gain, clipping type, and even the drive model.

In other words, Klon with gain at 9 o’clock and tone and level at noon might require one specific drive block type, gain setting, mix setting level setting etc, BUT, if you change just the gain knob in the Klon to noon, you may need to change not just the mix or drive level on the emulation, but change the drive, the mix, the clipping type, even the model itself.

This is why I think it’s hard for people to match the settings, or don’t think one persons settings sound “right” since it’s going to depend on how people run their Klon per their taste, and what a Klon sounds like. A lot of people like it just as a boost, but I ran my Centura with the gain on noonish, for a bit more of an OD than just a clean boost.

Back
Top Bottom