which cam to record guitar?

Brick_top

Power User
Hi there, I'm looking into buying a cam or webcam.

How do you guys record your guitar videos to post on youtube?

If it could do 720p would be good.

is it possible for 100 to 150$?

thanks

if you want to post just a video on youtube...any decent camera will work...
I have used a variety of canon's JVC, I now use a Nikon D5200

If you want to get a decent recording... look into buying:
1. a decent guitar Interface
2. Some recording software... i.e.: garage band, logic pro, etc...
3. some decent mics if you mic cabs
4. some decent video editing software...ie: iMovie, final cut pro

it is actually simple stuff... you can learn very quickly with a few pointers. cheers!

Jason

I will not use the cam mic or any other mic, its just to record direct with my axe-fx using some tracks.

Sorry for not being very specific.

I just want the image to be relatively decent quality and withouth lags.

wow just searched for that nikon and it is around 1000€ :eek:

do I need to spend that kind of money? I mentinoned in the first post that I was looking into spending 100 to 150$

I have a fairly nice camcorder that takes great video that I then sync up with a DAW recorded Axe II track using video editing software. There are dozens of choices with regards to cameras, Daws, and editing tools. It can get very expensive and the learning curve can get quite steep. It's very easy to spend thousands.

On the other end of the spectrum I also us a Zoom Q3 HD camera for practicing and instant playback. It takes semi decent video and pretty good audio for a small hand held camera and is very simple to use. You are not going to create pro level videos but for a cheap point and play experience it gets the job done. As with anything in the digital realm its all about your budget, willingness to learn, and quality of the results that determine your choices.

Here is the Q3 website for reference: Zoom — Q3HD

You could also just buy an HD web cam for the price you mention. There are plenty of HD webcams out there in that price range. Since you are mentioning recording direct, this would be a viable solution. ;)

HD point and shoot cameras are probably starting in that range and go up from there. I use an expensive camera since my wife is a photographer....but for the PC I just use a webcam....or my HD Sony point and shoot camera.

Your cheapest bang for the buck would be an HD webcam...then a point and shoot camera

HD webcams are good.

With music videos, sound quality is the important factor. A grainy, lowlight picture often has more character and vibe to it than a really clear pic. HD gives the best format, hence advocating an HD webcam - like the Logitech 1080p (which has decent sound too).

A cheap, good band result is often -as with Cover'd s - miming to the recorded track.

If you use a click track - or just take care with tempo, you can often get away with filming a live gig then using the recorded track. Just need to take enough pics that don't show lips or fingers, and cut it back to the drummer hitting the hi hat in sync.

BUt camera quality is irrelevant as the pic quality is less important than the sound, and unless you've hooked the camera up to the desk, it won't be good enough, and even then the mix will be not be optimum for the film, even though it might be great for the room....

Finally.... I'm going to try setting up a whole load of webcams on the lighting poles for a multicamera live gig shoot. They're wide angle, and if the shot doesn't work because people move, there will be plenty of other shots to cut to.

This vid of my covers band, was shot by the roadcrew with 3 professional cameras and a multitrack recorder from the desk which I mixed afterwards. With hindsight I'd have mixed in more of the rough camera sound, and set up mikes pointing at the audience, to give it more of a live feel. It was hard syncing sound with pics - and you can see. (Spot the change of drummers... one of the roadies likes to have a bit of a bash...)

[video]http://www.bashband.co.uk/hearus.html[/video]

Last edited:
I only want a camera for video with decent quality and without lags, if it has 720p it is a plus

for 100 to 150.

Anyone knows a cam or webcam model that somehow fits this?

It is just the typical youtube guitar video where the camera is pointing at someone playing guitar.

Last edited:
I asked the same question on here last year and a lot of people recommended the Zoom Q2HD. I bought it new on sale from MusiciansFriend.com for about $150 with free shipping. I'm really happy I bought it bc it's real easy to use and has lots of great features. The feature I like the most is that you can use it to just record audio if you don't want to use up a lot of space on the memory card and just want to record a quick riff.

Zoom Q2HD Handy Video/Audio Recorder | Musician's Friend

I also bought the Zoom APQ-2HD Accessory Pack for Zoom Q2HD Handy Video Recorder
Zoom APQ-2HD Accessory Pack for Zoom Q2HD Handy Video Recorder | Musician's Friend

A cheap, good band result is often - as with Cover'd s - miming to the recorded track.

Cor, damned cheek! ;)

No miming involved - all played and recorded live. A few takes to get different angles etc then edited together, but that's a whole band, live performance / rehearsal going on there :)

The rest of your advice is good though :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom