Which cabs?

gdgross

Experienced
So i have not experimented at all with the user IRs. But now that I'm starting to get my patches dialed in and actually using the axe live, I'd like to give some of them a try.

There are soooo many, though. Is there any kind of consensus on the best ones? Ex: a good open back voxy 2x12, a good greenback 4x12, etc. I only really want to have a few cabs at my disposal, I can't imagine using all ten slots. I'm also mostly interested in replicating what a guitarist would hear from his cab while standing a few feet away from it, as he would in real life, rather than a close-mic'd sound.

I'd like to keep it to 512 at this point, although I may expand my palette later...

So which ones should I try?? I know Jay and Clawfinger have a bunch on axexchange.

Thanks everyone!

The ones on Axechange are the most popular, for multiple reasons. Take that for what it's worth. Jay's are all not-close mic.

You'll have to use them yourself to see what you like the sound of. If you don't like the factory cabs, which plenty of people like, there isn't much reason to believe anybody else's opinion on what is "best".

...I think Jay's G12-65 2x12 30 degrees off-axis horizontal (512) sounds killer with the HAD ODS 1 sim...

...also, Jay's 2x12 Clean on-axis (512) is great with the Blackface sim...

...I'm going to try Clawfinger's IR's today...

...Cliff, Jay, Clawfinger, Java, AlbertA, Andrew Simon, and everyone who takes the time to create the IR's and explain how to implement them...this aspect of the Axe-Fx has totally turned my ears on end!

John Alexander said:
...I think Jay's G12-65 2x12 30 degrees off-axis horizontal (512) sounds killer with the HAD ODS 1 sim...

...also, Jay's 2x12 Clean on-axis (512) is great with the Blackface sim...

...I'm going to try Clawfinger's IR's today...

...Cliff, Jay, Clawfinger, Java, AlbertA, Andrew Simon, and everyone who takes the time to create the IR's and explain how to implement them...this aspect of the Axe-Fx has totally turned my ears on end!

Without that ability, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I'm glad I asked for it. ;)

For What its worth-

Being new to the user IR function myself, The 1024 stuff that I have tried from Jay are more for the clean stuff( fender & Jazz chorus) Definately the have a fuller sonic foot print than the 512 IRs. I have been trying to get everything out of them,

But my favorite right now is the CLawfinger 512, Marshall on,off axis and the Mesa on,off axis.
unfortunately there are so many of them it is hard to keep track of them. (too much late night tweaking)

I found they help take my basic tones to closer to the tones I hear in my head and the tones I have been hearing out of my splawn & Triaxis rig for years.

Don't get me wrong, 1024 IRs that I have heard are the next level of realism but Clawfingers cabs are loud and proud and are all done very well. so for the simplicity of it all, for now Clawfingers cabs rock.

Currently I have Jays 1024 in User slots 1-4 and clawfingers 5-10 and I have stop using the FAS cabs altogether.

For what it is worth.. of course all of this is purely opinion just like all tone is subject to the player. What works for some wont work for others.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom